/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Every Four Years

You know, weird things happen every four years. For instance, we all get hyper over elections every four years. We have leap years every four years.

And my son has cars destroyed every four years.

For the second time on July 6th, my son was in a car accident. Four years ago he learned the hard lesson of driving while tired, and what happens when small cars hit large trees. He walked away, bumped, bruised, and wiser.

Today, he got rearended pulling into work. The young girl driving behind him wasn't paying attention to the break lights and directional, and didn't hit the brakes quick enough. Considering the wreck was between her 2003 Explorer (wrecked a directional and folded some plastic) and his 2003 Kia Rio (the crumple zone did) it could have been much worse.

Again, he's walked away with no injuries, though he's a little sore. Being the trooper he is he worked three more hours because the pizza place was short handed and having a big special, and very busy. I don't think I'd have stuck around.

As for the car, my guess is it will be totalled, but I don't know, I'll talk to the adjuster tomorrow and see what he says.

The fact that he'll be 21 in less than a week doesn't make it any easier when you get a call saying he's been in an accident, it still scares the bejesus out of Mom and Dad, we still showed up in fairly close to record time. I guess even at 6 foot 1 and 250 lbs he's still my "little boy".

I'm just glad no one was hurt, and I hope the young lady who rearended him drives a little more careful from now on.

Technorati Tags: , ,

11Comments:

Blogger Maricopa Mark said...

When I got swiped last year I remember being somewhat impressed with this "crumple zone" idea. The accident wasn't nearly as violent as one would expect and instead of a loud boom there was more a muted sound of metal folding.

Good to hear everyone walked away. We'll call that a successful accident.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Ever hear that David Bowie song "always crashing in the same car"?

9:48 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

You always worry about them, BZ, no matter how big or how old they are. Mine are in their forties and I still consider them my "kids".

11:04 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

That would make anyone nervous but I'm glad he didn't get badly hurt.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

You worry about them all their lives. I have one 38 and one 35, and I pray a hedge of protection over them all the time. They are 'my kids'! It's just the nature of loving parents to worry and have concern over their kids, no matter the ages.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

So happy and relieved to hear he is OK.
If he stiff suffers from whiplash though, a good , reputable Chiropracter is what I'd recommend. I swear by mine, and I've had whiplash.
My husbands car got creamed by an 18 wheeler on the highway about 10 years ago. He went to the Chiropracter the same day and was only a little sore. Never lost time from work. Of course a Chevy Nova vs. a truck doesn't always have a healthy outcome ... my DH was lucky. I know I'm lucky to still have him.

We revisit our blessings when something that had a potential to be bad, goes well. And nothing is more well than still having the ones we love still be with us.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Wyatt Earp said...

See? They shouldn't let women drive. She was probably putting on makeup when she hit your son. Heh.

Glad to hear he's okay.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

We're all happy he's okay, too. He even talked to the girls in the car afterwards and told them to calm down, that's what insurance is for.

This one wasn't as nerve racking as the first accident, when we were 3 hours away when it happened, and he totalled the car into a tree.

As for Wyatt's comment, she was probably actually talking to the two girlfriends on the car. She didn't have any lipstick running up to her forehead :)

8:09 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Bob,

Glad to hear your son is alright. My hubby was involved in an accident this past March and of course, our truck was totalled. I was angry at first trying to heap some of the blame on him, which of course was ludicrous as he was broadsided by an older woman pulling out of a side street. I think people sometimes don't give enough credence to the concept you need to be ALERT and PAY ATTENTION when you get behind the wheel of an auto. Many people drive distracted ( problems, cellphones, etc..) and this is what happens. Hope things go OK.

5:39 AM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Wow.
I'm glad he's ok, too.

Next 6th, he should stay home and work on the yard...

8:54 PM  
Blogger Chi-town Packa Backa said...

Ya know, UAW, me and my friends decided the same thing. And Dad, I'll E-mail you the codes so you can post the pictures

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home