/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Friday, November 10, 2006

McCain Forms Committee

John McCain officially formed his exploratory committee to look into running for the GOP nomination for President in 2008.

Along with Condi Rice and Rudy Giuliani, McCain is one of the three big GOP names for 2008; though Rice has said she wouldn't run. Rudy hasn't made up his mind, and he knows that he's got personal baggage that would accompany him on a trip through the primaries and general election.

There are tons of Republican's and so called "real conservatives" out there who hate the idea of McCain running because he's not far enough to the right for many of them. Social conservatives don't like his stands on gay marriage and embryonic stem cell research, which makes his battle uphill.

To that group I say, it's never good to cut off your nose to spite your face. As I mentioned about Santorum, and some others in the GOP, they've proven that the hard line social conservative ideas don't necessarily attract the voters you need. Sometimes you have to compromise, or you get Pat Buchannon and Pat Robertson.

No, McCain, or Giuliani aren't perfect lockstep conservatives, so what. If you honestly look at some of the issues, such as abortion and embryonic stem cells, unless you get the Senate down to 39 Democrats you'll never get any laws outlawing them onto the floor. So why fight a battle you can't win, and will only be demonized for continuing?

I don't particularly like McCain for the 1st Amendment squelching McCain Feingold finance reform, that threw campaigns to shadow groups and took away a lot of the publics voice. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't vote for him in 2008. If I tossed out every candidate I ever disagreed with on one or two items, I'd never vote for anyone. In fact, I'd say to most folks who are going to use two or three of the things I mentioned as reasons not to vote for McCain, scour the records of the folks you voted for Tuesday. My guess is you'll find dozens of items that you disagree with that they voted for. Maybe not huge ones, but dozens none the less.

For the folks who are saying McCain shouldn't run, toss me some names, and I'll post my thoughts on them.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

2Comments:

Blogger Extreme Wisdom said...

Anyone should run who wants to, but McCain's views on the 1st Amendment scare me.

I like Romney. Though he's far from perfect, he's better than McCain.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

I agree McCain isn't perfect. He does have some upside and some down like everyone. I actually prefer Hunter, and think Romney would be passable, though many on the social right hate him.

It will be interesting to watch the jockying over the next couple of years.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home