/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Friday, August 07, 2009

Health (S)Care Stories

Here's the health care story I put up on barackobama.com today.

I'm pretty sure it won't be there long. Let me explain it. As a retired military veteran I can get coverage under Tricare. The great advantage is cost. I do pay less per year than most do per month for coverage. (Never mind that when I joined the military I was told it would be free for life, the back end payment for 20 years of substandard wages, crazy hours and long deployments.)

The downside is that unless you meet certain criteria, if you live within distance of a military treatment facility that becomes your primary care provider. Because there are also about 5,000 active military and their familie's in the area, Great Lakes has a hard time keeping up with demand for services.

So here's what I wrote to the folks on the web over at Health Care Stories for America:

I've been subjected to government managed health care for the last 27 years. To get treatment for a sore throat with lesions my wife has waited for over six weeks. Sorry, no chance to get a different doctor, we live to close to the treatment facility, and just get wait listed.

Why would I want to subject the rest of America to this kind of care?

I'm pretty sure it won't stay up there long. But I suggest everyone who want to gripe about health reform blast the "Health Care Stories for America" site.

Now, some of you I'm sure are questioning why I'd stay in that system when both of our employers offer insurance. The truth is we are both fairly healthy, and don't use the system that much. So the trade off in money saved is worth the inconvenience that we put up with.

When the wait for appointments begins to exceed our desire to save some money, we'll chose (if we still can) one of our employer based plans.

By the way, that's the same reason a lot of the 40 million or so without insurance don't have it. They figure they are healthy, and can deal with using acute care clinics and ER's and the associated bills. When they have a family, or start worrying about health issues, they start looking for insurance.

Labels: , , ,


2Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is interesting. My question is, are CATS covered under Obama family health care plan?

12:35 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Sorry Regis, cats won't be covered, which actually bothers me quite a bit, as I have one that's pushing 13 years old and will soon need lots of medical care.

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home