/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Help me Figure This Out!

Okay, now I'm friggin' confused! I'm reading Drudge, and see the headline ALARM OVER DRAMATIC WEAKENING OF GULF STREAM which takes me to a Guardian story (I feel dirty).

Here's a quote from the story:
The powerful ocean current that bathes Britain and northern Europe in warm waters from the tropics has weakened dramatically in recent years, a consequence of global warming that could trigger more severe winters and cooler summers across the region, scientists warn today.

Okay, here's my question, if 'global warming' is causing all these problems, WHY IS EUROPE GOING TO GET COOLER???? Shouldn't it get WARMER. I'm not a rocket scientist (though I've fired rocket propelled missiles), but if the world is getting warmer, wouldn't the water get warmer, making Britain warmer?

Here's my take on it. The gulf stream has nothing to do with it. The lack of warmth is directly related to the dropping birth rates in Europe. If they would start doing the things required to raise the birth rate, things would stay plenty warm over there.

Technorati Tags: , and

7Comments:

Blogger Corie said...

I never understood the whole "Global Warming" thing either...and now I'm even more confused!
Can someone explain this to me as well?

ps-I tried to leave this comment earlier, but your site was having problems...guess it's ok now.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Thanks for stopping by (twice) to comment. I can't do much about blogger issues. Every once in a while the place gets freaky like that.

If you read the haloscan comments there is an actual explaination about the phenomenon. However, I'd rather joke about it :)

5:56 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

The global warming causing global cooling is just hedging their bets. They have too much politcal capital invested to let it go.

I wonder if they want to blame America for the global warming that is also happening on Mars according to some sources

6:45 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Shoprat, the warming on Mars has actually had a good effect on the scientific community here. They suddenly figured out that some of our warming is beyond our control, it's coming from the sun! Imagine, the Sun is HOT!

However, Greenpeace will probably declare that an overheated bearing on the two Mars Rovers is the actual cause.

8:28 PM  
Blogger on-the-rocks said...

Supposedly, the concern is over "too much" fresh water entering the North Atlantic from melting Greenland and Russian ice. They are concerned that this wedge of fresh water is disrupting the thermohaline circulation.

Ya see, when fresh water enters the ocean from a river, it doesn't immediately mix with the sea water, rather it floats on the salt water as a separate layer for a while.

Some of this hoohah is because of computer model predictions. This breakdown of the thermohaline circulation has probably happened before.

There is evidence that the oceans are warming, but this is probably due to solar activity.

12:51 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Joe-I read a couple of weeks ago that about 30% of the warming is coming from solar causes.

Paula- 30 degrees here this morning. While HB may be "cold" by Ca. standards, I'm sure you're not actually "freezing". Though I did live in Long Beach in the mid-80's when we got some snow. That was funny!

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taking a page from the Liberal Bible, I watched the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" and can now claim to be an expert on the subject.

However, without the backing of a large government grant, I am not at liberty to share my findings with the general public.

Let's just say "Bush hates the ocean" for now.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home