/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Cartoons

Flemming Rose, publisher of the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten who has gained fame an notoriety by publishing the 12 cartoons of Mohammed has an op/ed piece in today's Washington Post explaining why he did it.

For an explaination on freedom of the press, religion and expression you can't do better than what he's written. Here is an example:

Has Jyllands-Posten insulted and disrespected Islam? It certainly didn't intend to. But what does respect mean? When I visit a mosque, I show my respect by taking off my shoes. I follow the customs, just as I do in a church, synagogue or other holy place. But if a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy.

Read the rest of it, and then read the Newsweek interview with the Yemeni editor who dared publish them. You'll see a huge contrast in how two cultures deal with the same issue.

Technorati Tags: , ,

4Comments:

Blogger Lone Pony said...

You and I posted on this at the same time. I'm starting to think like you. :-) This was one of the best articles I've seen. It made me ashamed of myself for not posting the comics myself in defiance. I guess that would have been the wrong reason. Flemming explains that he published the comics for all the right reasons.

10:49 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

The Moslems want "respect" for their religion the way the gay community wants "tolerance". Both want the power to silence all who disagree with them.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Steven, on your first comment, you are right on the nose. Regardless of religion, we all have some basic values that should be adhered to.

On the second comment, and response to Shop Rat, I don't think he's that far from the truth. Go onto a gay support board and mention that well over 75% of American AIDS "victims" have a disease that it was completely in their power to avoid, and see what kind of response you get from the truth. (hint: it will be a beat down on the "gay basher", I tried it).

LP, careful about thinking like me, it will have you chasing leggy blondes, too :)

Yankee Mom- thanks for the linky love!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Jeff Jacoby has written an article for the Boston Globe (of all things!) giving the reason American papers haven't published the cartoons.

Betcha can't guess the reason? (just kidding, of course).

Some of them are actually admitting that they are afraid of retaliation.

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home