/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Channel Fever

For anyone who's done a deployment with the Navy, they know what Channel Fever is. For those who haven't, it's the night before you return to your homeport. No one sleeps, everything gets kind of rowdy on the ship, and hundreds of grown adults act like kids waiting for Christmas.

I've been suffering a case of it the last few days. Tomorrow is my last day with Mega-Corp, and then I come back to the apartment, do more cleaning, more packing, and start getting ready for the move back to Illinois on Monday.

Work has been tough this week, with lots going on, so that has helped a little bit, but today I only had students for about 3 hours this morning, then started the process of checking out of the company, and Navy command I teach at. Suddenly I found myself cleaning out my desk, turning in all of my classified information, and the other mundane things you do when you quit a job.

I'm sitting now, waiting for a call from the new boss, to find out when I get to leave Illinois and head to the Boston area for training. After not living with the family for 18 months, they should be able to handle a few 3 week trips to Beantown while I settle into the new job.

I'm also waiting to find out my primary responsibility. While I was hired as a Field Service Engineer, the rumor is I'll be working more on training customers on new equipment and software, and less on the technician end of the job. That's fine by me, training is where I've worked for years, so I understand their reasoning.

Anyway, time to eat dinner and then do some more cleaning.

Technorati Tags: and ,

7Comments:

Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Clothed or otherwise?

5:28 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Sounds like we have a similar skillset. Coast Guard veteran, electronics technician. Currently a field service rep for a medical device company. Travel in a region encompassing 5 states. I do get to be home a lot more than you do, Bob. I think maybe you should find something in Chi-town that will keep you home, or do you like the road better?

10:16 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Very Similar Tim, more radar than other electronics in my background, though I taught basic electronic for a while.

The new job will keep me home more, eventually. First I have to get the training out of the way. Then it's only 4-6 nights a month overnight travel, and the office is the house.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

"Clothed would be best if were driving." GOOD ONE CPWife!!! Bob, I'm so happy for you. Congratulations on the job again and on moving home. You're gonna do a great job. Don't forget to BLOG!

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me about it, man. I've been on shore duty for three and a half years, and I'm about a month and a half out from getting back to sea. I'm itching to start doing something usefull again.

Good luck in Chicago, Bob!

Don't be too rough on him Mrs. Bob!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Robo- I definitely don't itch for sea duty again. There will be just enough travel in the new job to make me appreciate home. Guess I just got too old for the new deployment schedules.

I will miss teaching SWO's, though. They are so easy to screw with :)

LP Thanks, for the congrats, and yes, the wife inherited the sense of humor from me. Guess it's 22 years together.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Don't worry all, we ended up driving with our clothes on. Turned out the truck cab wasn't as high as I anticipated, and the truckers could still look down and laugh at me.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home