/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Dessert Before Dinner!

Last night, as I sat in the back yard burning some burgers on the grill, I saw something that was just awesome, and of course the camera was in my bedroom, too far to get quick enough.

I heard a rumbling coming out of the south east over my head, and blocked by my rather large maple tree. I knew it was a plane, but wasn't sure what kind, just big. Not a jet engine rumbling, instead, the sound of radial engines, the type they used 60 years ago.

Then I looked, and watched this beauty fly over....

A vintage B-17 WWII bomber, big as life, and at a spot where I didn't have a chance to get it flying.

I was so disappointed, but I knew from the pattern it was landing at the Waukegan Regional Airport.

Then, about 10 minutes later I hear the noise again, thinking he was making another pass, I had the camera ready.

Except this time it wasn't the Flying Fortress flying over my head, it was this plane.....

A B-24 Liberator, the most widely produced US bomber of World War 2. I did get a picture of it in the air, but it's not nearly as good as this one of it on the ground at the airport.

After dinner the lovely one and I had some running to do, but we grabbed the camera and headed towards the airport first.

There they were, on the ground, less than a hundred yards from the general public parking area at the airport, what a great site.

And they weren't alone, the planes had a friend with them, my personal favorite bomber of that era, the B-25 Mitchell, a sleek little two engine job that saw service as everything from a transport to a ground attack aircraft. (for some reason Blogger doesn't want that picture to upload).

In case you are wondering what these were doing in Waukegan Illinois, it's a regular stop over on the way to Whitman Regional Airport in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Whitman home of the annual Experimental Aircraft Association Fly in, known as AirVenture; and the home of the EAA itself.

I've attended the Fly In twice; though I have to drive to get there; in the last 6 years, and it is an awesome experience. The daily airshows, the vintage and homebuilt aircraft are all incredible sights to see.

If you like planes, it's the place to be the last week of July every year. Just make your hotel or campground reservations early, usually it's hard to find a place to stay within 60 miles.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

3Comments:

Blogger shoprat said...

We produced some real beauties in WWII and that timeframe. Sadly many of them rotted in mothballs when they should have been loved and maintained in town squares the way we used to do cannons.

9:26 PM  
Blogger me said...

How great! My 7 year old would've been in heaven!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Shoprat, I agree too many of them rotted when they should have been loved. Luckily groups like the Confederate Air Force and others have restored quite a few.

Mom, I'm sure he'd have loved it. Watch the local papers, and check the website my wife posted above, evidently these guys tour quite a bit.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home