/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Thanks Veterans!

For those who've forgotten, today is Veterans Day. The holiday, originally called Armistice Day, celebrated the end of the first World War, the "war to end all wars"; which it unfortunately wasn't.

If you have a chance today, thank a veteran. The reason we get to write blogs, nasty editorials, and claim our president or congress, or governor is the next Hitler is because for over 200 years there have been folks willing to defend your freedom to do that.

Lawyers like to talk about how their court room antics are the reason you have freedom, judges like to think that their decisions in those rooms are the reason. Legislators sometimes think they give you those freedoms.

The truth is they are all important in exercising that freedom, but they do nothing to defend it. That's done by people brave enough to take a bullet so you can complain about the last election.

Sometimes we like to complain about the military, or point to one or two bad apples as "proof" that the entire group is screwed up. The truth is, the Military generally does a great job, and yes, occasionally screws the pooch on some things. But when the truth comes out, we always find that by and large, the vast majority of the military is doing a great job, with a lower percentage of scofflaws than our cities and corporations have.

So, to all the other veterans out there, and the current crop of future veterans, THANK YOU, from another vet. I, for one appreciate what you do, and understand why you do it; even if some stuffed shirt lawyer or editorial page writer or congresscritter doesn't have a clue.

Technorat Tags: , , , ,

3Comments:

Blogger Lone Pony said...

So, I'm thanking a vet right now: THANK YOU BOB! I'm proud of our military and I'm proud to be able to call YOU a friend. Hope you have a great day!

12:06 PM  
Blogger rachel said...

Thank you Bob.

I learned today what I've been missing by not going to the parades all these years. I'll never miss another one again, as long as I can help it.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

You are both welcome. And yes, I had a great day. No one home, college football on, and I only slept through one quarter of the game :)

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home