/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Friday, March 26, 2010

New Outlook

It's funny how one ambulance ride can change a guy's outlook on life. 10 Days ago I was still convinced my medical issues this month were caused by a new medication. 9 days ago and a trip to the ER in an ambulance and we figured out that wasn't the problem.
I started thinking about that this morning as I was checking into the doctors office. The nurse noticed my weight was down about 12 lbs from three weeks ago, and my blood pressure was much better.
She hadn't been around this month, so she hadn't seen much of me since my physical. She asked what diet I was on and I told her it's the "I had a heart attack and need to change my life diet".
The nurse laughed and said something I've been saying for a few decades, "eat healthy, exercise often and die anyway". That's as true today as it was last Tuesday, or last month, or when I was 25. The difference is, I think I'll wait a while for the last part of it. And if that means eating healthy and exercising often, so be it.
I quit smoking just before all of the heart issues showed up. I originally did it to save money.
Suddenly knowing that my ticker might quit ticking again, I've found another reason to quit. Before last Wednesday I wanted a smoke about 3 or 4 times a day. Now I really don't care, I forget to put my nicotine patches on but don't get the jitters when someone else lights up.
When I had my physical and my cholesterol and blood pressure were way to high, I had no problem with taking the pills. But changing the diet? Hey, I like traditional cooking with butter and cream. You take the pills so you can do eat that stuff, right.
Now I've got no problem with vegetable broth instead of cream and butter in my mashed potatoes, and making low sodium soups. If it'll keep me out of the ambulance, I'll do it.
I even bought an American Heart Association cookbook, and one from Readers Digest for low sodium cooking.
And, as soon as I get the okay from the cardiologist, and my disability check from work; I plan on joining the park district gym. They've got some great cardio equipment in there, and it's only 5 blocks from the house.
I'm sure some of this new found health kick will wear off in a while. I'm not sure how long until I want to cook with cream again, but hopefully when I do too my wife will remind me of how she was feeling last Wednesday; as we sat at a gas station with 4 paramedics crawling through my truck to get me out and into the ambulance. I never want to put her through anything like it again.

Labels: , , , , ,


2Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Jesus, you had a heart attack?

10:42 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Yes I did. I was the walking poster child for early one's, too. Family history, high blood pressure and cholesterol, 30 year smoker. But I never bothered to take it seriously, I figured I felt good, what were the chances.

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home