/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Bush Fights Back

President Bush is having nothing to do with the ruckus over the port deal that congress is bitching about, and Newsweek is cracking jokes about.

On his plane back from the Midwest he told reporters, very bluntly, how he feels about what Congress is doing:


"They ought to listen to what I have to say about this," the president said after inviting pool reporters on his plane back to his compartment to talk. "They ought to look at the facts, and understand the consequences of what they're going to do. But if they pass a law, I'll deal with it, with a veto."
Since Bill Frist, the Senate Majority Leader, and others have promised legislation, in a bipartisan manner, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Personally, I'd love to see Bush veto it, and tell Congress find something worthwhile to spend their time on, instead of fear mongering.

Donald Rumsfeld also weighed in today, reminding reporters of something I posted about in "Arabophobia":


"I'm told that nothing changes with security," Rumsfeld said when asked about the security concerns. "Our Coast Guard are the ones who make judgments about the security of the port."
That is the crux of the this. The management company deals with contracts, and schedules, the Coast Guard handles security and inspections.

On the absurd side, is the guys from congress (quote from Washington Post)


Last week seven Democratic and Republican members of Congress said the deal should be looked at again, citing security concerns. They noted that the United Arab Emirates is an ally of the United States, but they said that some of the hijackers involved in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks traveled through the UAE and its banking system has been used by groups affiliated with al Qaeda.
I'll remind our distinguished congress folks that they also used our banking system, banking systems in Europe (and a European company is now running the ports, for shame!), and traveled extensively in our country, and Europe before September 11th.

Using that Congressional logic, the London company that is being bought out by DP should have it's contract dissolved, and a US company shouldn't get it!

For something that makes more sense than Congress on this whole thing, check out Andy Borowtiz, at Newsweek.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Riehlworldview also has a take on this issue, noting the British don't seem to have a problem with it, and DP will be running some of their port operations also.

Macsmind has more on the absurdity of it all, as does RealClear Politics.

(Note: To the guys/gals from Senate offices who have been reading this blog, leave a message and say "Hi" once in a while, Haloscan users don't need an account, so you don't have to give away your secret identities.)

Update, Got some fan mail from Ron Abernathy on this one (he didn't have enough stuff to post it publicly, so I will):

Your blog sucks. Why don't you move your ugly butt and idiot children to one of the ports to be operated by your sand-terrorist friends?

That, Mr. Abernathy is why I love the left, from that end of the spectrum we get such reasoned debate. Why offer up proof of the problem with the deal when you can just write trash like this. Uncle Kos must be proud of you.

8Comments:

Blogger Van Helsing said...

If letting Arabs run our ports is a good idea, how do you account for Jimmy Carter's support for it?

8:06 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Van Helsing, remember the story about the broken clock being right twice a day?

Steve, checked it out, have to get back and comment later.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Christopher Lee said...

This morning I did a post that talked about what a bad idea I thought this was. A few minutes ago I had to retract that post. One I actually learned a little more about the details I had to change my mind. Read this:
http://tinyurl.com/mqpwn

10:10 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I have heard good arguments come from both sides on this. I appreciate your opinion on this especially in the line of work you are in. It helps me a lot. And I was concerned about Carter also but I love that analogy about a broken clock being right twice a day. Classic :-)!!

By the way I need your help with a commenter on my current post. I haven't had time to come up with a good rebuttal yet so would appreciate your help since you are so awesome with responses.

12:59 AM  
Blogger DaddysGirl said...

Hm interesting. I should really read the news more often. Did Mr. Abernathy actually write that? If he did I am so gonna send him some hate mail. I am not an idiot!!!!

1:01 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Chris - We all hate retractions, but I'll stick with folks who can learn, and admit mistakes sooner than folks who never learn.

LMC, I'll be over to visit shortly.

DaddysGirl- I know you aren't an idiot. I'd guess you and your brother probably scored higher than him on the ACT. Besides, you are both capable of logical discussion :)

3:55 AM  
Blogger DaddysGirl said...

Dad, I probably scored higher than him on the ACT in 8th grade. Remember I scored higher than our governor then!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Well, I'm still opposed to it, but what it looks like now is that it's shaping up to be a full-blown political circus, which kind of kills any real debate on the merits of the plan.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home