/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Facts on the Port Takeover

UPDATE: For conservatives worried about my "vast right wing conspiracy credentials", don't fear, the New York Times wants the President to fold on this issue, so I might not be too far off the right track :)

The Washington Post has a very good article on the ports fiasco this morning, that lays out a lot of the details of who runs the ports, and how, regardless of the management company.

It points out a lot of what the folks who are supporting Dubai Ports World have been saying all along, that security, and hiring practices aren't going to change. Those are all controlled through collective bargaining with the long shoreman and other federal agencies.

It also gives more background on the actual deal between the current British operator of the ports and DPW, and who actually runs DPW's day to day operations.

If you are wondering about the deal, read this article before you listen to the bloviating masses in Washington DC.

Indian Chris over at Right Wing and Right Minded did a little research on the issue, and had a change of heart on it. I think once the information gets out about how this deal is actually being run, more people will see Congress's knee jerk reaction as a less than flattering commentary on America.

As a side note, a second article in the Post, which is mostly a rehash of what the one I linked to last night, points out something that most folks probably don't realize. The UAE provides more docking facilities in the Middle East for the US Navy than any other country. And guess who runs 3 of the 4 busiest ports we visit. Their initials are DPW.

Tonight I'll comment on Harold Meyerson's horrible Op/Ed piece, and the Supreme Court's taking up the Partial Birth Abortion ban.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

3Comments:

Blogger Lone Pony said...

On Bush Fights Back - God I love that man! Do you think Mrs. Bush would share? Just kidding... Really. He's willing to stand up for what's right even though it may make him unpopular. My my, what a concept.

On Facts - Thanks for the details on this Bob. I'm very unpopular (again) at school because I've taken the opposite stance of everyone else. Yes, I read blogs.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Well, I'm not sure about this. Reading the article, it doesn't sound as bad as the politicians are making it out, and it does seem political, especially now that Hillary's criticizing it.

But also, just the fact that a Middle Eastern company is going to be doing anything major at our ports is kind of scary.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Rebekah, what reason other than their location is a problem?

LP- I'd rather be unpopular and informed than the other way around. But that's just me.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home