/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

More On Choices

This post started as a reply to a reader, whom I have a fundamental disagreement with over the issue of Abortion.

I have a lot of respect for her, I just happen to disagree with her on this issue. Doesn't mean I still wouldn't want to meet her and have a couple of drinks some time, because quite honestly, if we never associated with people you disagreed with on one issue, none of us would have any friends.

Paula, you and I have a disagreement that will probably never be settled over when life begins. That's cool, hell, I disagree with the entire British empire on how to ground an electrical circuit.

I will say though, that I've never had the issue come up with me for one reason, I've practiced abstinence (from intercourse) when birth control wasn't available, or if a child wasn't an option. Which goes to the heart of the issue for 1.2 million of 1.3 million abortions (in 2000), sexual responsibility.

Because in those 1.2 million cases, the people knew there was a good chance they weren't protected, as I posted only 95,000 of the 1.3 million occured when the person was sure they'd used the birth control properly.

Those people who knew, or had a good idea they were unprotected had a choice to make at that point; they could have intercourse and risk pregnancy, or abstain from it, and not risk it. Evidently they chose wrong, in my opinion.

There are many ways to achieve sexual gratification that don't include intercourse, but can be just as fun. I'd suggest for the folks who think abortion shouldn't be legal you make sure your offspring understand that point. It might not be comfortable talking to them about it, but you should. I appreciate that my parents were honest enough to explain life to me.

For the folks who think it should be legal, I still think you should be explaining it to them. There are a lot of STD's that are pretty hard to transmit without intercourse (and some that aren't they need to know that too.). So it might protect them from something else, maybe even something worse than being pregnant, something fatal.

For the 7ish percent of folks who will get abortions because the birth control really failed, I feel for you, and wish there was a way to convince you it's the wrong choice. Maybe go talk to a couple who've spent years on adoptions lists and spent thousands on fertility treatments. Learn that it's a gift you are carrying, not an inconvenience. And that there are thousands who would be honored if you'd pass that gift along to them.

Technorati Tags: , ,

10Comments:

Blogger shoprat said...

Here is another little truth that gets lost all too often. I have never heard of anyone dying from "horniness" (though it does seem possible at times.)

8:10 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

As a guy who sees his wife once every month or so, I'll agree on both counts.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

"There are many ways to achieve sexual gratification that don't include intercourse, but can be just as fun." It really bothers me that those just as fun ways are sometimes taboo. You wouldn't believe some of the things my kids have told me. God kills a kitten everytime...sheesh

Very politely said CP. Somebody needed to say it.

SR - OMG yes it does feel possible sometimes! Hmmm...I'm wondering if it could cause and accident while thinking about it...Like walking in front of a bus or something. LOL

10:01 PM  
Blogger ablur said...

Very nice discourse on a difficult subject.
I personally think abortion is wrong but I understand in the cases of rape and incest. I have no sympathy for those who function out of convenience.
We bring thousands of babies in from foreign countries each year in order to solve a problem when the answer is already here.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

LP, our countries "sexphobia" is a completely different topic, but in short, we need to get over our puritan roots to a certain extent. I know some of the weird things parents tell their kids, and it is scary.

Ablur, thanks. It is a hard, emotional topic, but I think folks can discuss it reasonably and logically if they use their mind before they talk/type.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Yep, CP, though we disagree on when rights begin, I'm with ya on the BC issues. Better BC, more info, more talking to kids about options, etc. Our society is screwed up about sex--plastering it everywhere, yet so many afraid to have an actual discussion. Weird.

You buyin'? ;)

7:58 AM  
Blogger Dionne said...

"Maybe go talk to a couple who've spent years on adoptions lists and spent thousands on fertility treatments. Learn that it's a gift you are carrying, not an inconvenience. And that there are thousands who would be honored if you'd pass that gift along to them."

Bob, very well said & very true!!!!!!!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Uber said...

I believe that new life is still a precious gift even in the cases of rape and incest, one being a completely separate issue from the other.

Of course I also swoon at the very scent of baby lotion soooo...lol.

You've done a great job of handling a delicate topic, CP!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Paula, yes, I'm buying, you just have to get to Virginia. We do need to educate our young ones better about sex. And while it will piss off a bunch of conservatives, the schools need to be a big part of it. Our teen pregnancy stats show that parents aren't doing the job. Abstinence needs to be part of the cirriculum, though.

LMC, Thanks.

Uber, this could cost me my "man license", but I'll admit that the smell of a freshly bathed baby, with all the lotion and powder could well be why I feel the way I do. Thanks for the compliment.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Shamalama, hadn't thought of it in those terms before, interesting way of looking at it.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home