/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Learn English!

Okay, I've been pretty calm on the immigration debate, until this evening. The Lovely Wife pointed out this ABC News story on a Spanish version of the Star Spangled Banner being worked on. The Washington Post also has a story here about the song's debut.

The writers of the song, to maintain it's rhythm and the rhymes in the song had to change some lyrics, and a little of the flow. But that's not my problem. My problem is the language. If you want to show you are patriotic, and working hard to assimilate into the US, then sing the song in English.

I would be much more impressed with a hispanic person singing in broken English, showing he or she is trying to become "American", than one singing the song in Spanish, to show how little they've learned of the American culture.

In fact, I was very impressed last Saturday by an Iraqi immigrant at the milblogger conference, who struggled with his English, but was proud of being able to convey his feelings to the audience. That's part of becoming an American.

If you insist on singing a Spanish version national anthem, I know of a bunch of countries that have them. Move to one of them, and if you insist on staying here, learn the language.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

2Comments:

Blogger shoprat said...

We need to make it official by law; all citizens must know English. The law will never pass but it is desperately needed.

If I moved to Mexico the locals would probably, and rightly, demand that I learn more Spanish then I currently stumble around with.

9:29 PM  
Blogger ablur said...

I'm with you. We don't need a Spanish national Anthem. We are an English speaking country and those who are truly proud of being here will happily learn it in English.

I don't know what the real problem is, people learn songs in foreign languages all the time without knowing the language. Okay, so you don't know English yet but you want to be part of this great nation. Learn the song in English and belt it out when ever the opportunity presents itself.

My sister used to tour with a big choir. They went all over the world and learned songs in many languages. At the time my sister only spoke English and a little French. They had a great time and people enjoyed the presentation everywhere they went. Many were impressed by there ability to master a foreign song with no teaching in the language. My sister now lives in Europe and speaks English, French, German and Italian.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home