/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Sunday, April 09, 2006

A Suggestion For Brett Favre

As everyone knows, Brett Favre has decided not to decide yet on whether or not to play football this season. I can't say as I blame him, if I was looking at what Ted Thompson has done this offseason as a player I'd wonder if I should come back, too.

I listened to his press conference yesterday, and along with the indecision, I heard a guy who seems to want to play, but isn't sure what he'd be playing for this year. Well, I have a suggestion or two for him.

But first, I think that 2005 was an abhoration, I don't think any quarterback in history has had so many skill players go down in a single season and done well. In fact, in 30 years of paying attention to football, I can't think of a team that switched tailbacks (6 different starters), tight ends (3) and receivers (6) as often as Green Bay did last year. Again those numbers aren't "guys on the roster" but guys who started games at the positions. In a bad year most teams wouldn't have more than 3-4 at receiver and 2 or 3 at tailback.

Rumor had it that at the end of the year they were going to put the names on the front of the players jersey's so they wouldn't have to introduce themselves at each huddle. Considering 41 different players started games, that probably wouldn't have been unreasonable.

That said, here is my suggestion for Favre, play in 2006. As you mentioned at the press conference, you don't want to play just for records or the money, so don't. What you have talked about, a lot since last fall was hurricane relief. So play this year for that cause, if it's your final year, you'll be able to get tons of sponsors to donate. Ask companies to give some bucks for every touch down pass. Offer to toss in a bunch of your own for each interception, heck the Bears fans would probably donate for those.

Figure that if you only toss 20 again, but can get 5 companies to each toss in $5,000 per pass, that would make about half a million bucks for hurricane relief. I'm sure you could find more companies than that, or get more dollars per TD pass.

Then, there's the game at Lambeau against New Orleans the second week of the seaon. Use it as the catalyst for a statewide drive for donations, and present them to the guys from New Orleans before the game Sunday.

I don't see Favre as retiring happy if he does call it quits, he knows he can still play and would probably wonder "what if" all season. Even if he had to endure another 4-12 season, if he was doing it to make some extra bucks for the gulf coast recovery, it would give him good reason to play.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth on the subject. By the way, screw the media on their constant bugging of you to make a decision, if the management truly isn't pressuring you, then don't make it until you are ready. The media will be there when you do, and probably 3 or 4 more times when you don't.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

4Comments:

Blogger Crazy Politico said...

No sports managment for me, too many morons with millions to put up with in that racket.

As for commenting, everyone can, that's why Haloscan is also available.

Still thinking about the wordpress thing, but not sure if I'm going to switch anytime soon. With the move coming up I'm not sure how much blogging time I'll have.

9:25 PM  
Blogger ablur said...

That was a great rant. Favre should get a copy.

I have enjoyed watching Favre play for years. Even in a horrible season as it was I still enjoyed watching him. Play for the joy of playing. There are plenty who do it for the money. Bring back the joy of football.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Peakah said...

There is no better ambassador for the sport of football than Brett Favre. He has been one of my football heros since he took over for the Majik man (Don Majkowski). (I have Cheesehead cousins up in Appleton, just south of GB)

I hope that the rookie cards I have of him in the cheezy falcons uniform will pay for a vacation or two in the future!

If ever there was a throwback player reminiscent of Bart Starr, it is Brett Favre... and I wouldn't be suprised if he pulled off something like you suggested either, he's that kind'a guy.

Did you ever read or see about that nasty car accident he got in while a senior in college? Nasty!! He was lucky to live let alone become the NFL's quinticential iron man... (hey, i know I can't spell, save it!)

*grin*

11:10 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Steven, I think he can play another year or two, Boomer Esiason thinks three. While winning another Super Bowl would be nice, it's probably not the only criteria I'd use. If it were everyone on the Saints should retire :)

Ablur, I sent it to a couple of sports folks in Wisconsin who have access to him. Don't know if he'll get it or not, but I can hope.

Peakah, I lived in Mississippi for his Sophmore and Junior years, when he started to get USM on the map. Wasn't around for the accident, but know it was nasty, and he still beat 'Bama :)

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home