/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Friday, February 12, 2010

What The Hell, Part 2

Tragedy hit the Olympics before they started today, with the death of Nodar Kumaritashvili, a luge rider from the country of Georgia. He came out of turn 16 and flipped off the track, hit a support column, and was pronounced dead shortly afterwards.

Supposedly; according to ABC news; the IOC suggested a higher side rail be installed to prevent such accidents, but it wasn't.

If you've seen the video, and I'm sorry I did, you can see that the posts could have been covered and padded, or even had a padded fence placed between them, and it may have saved a life, who knows.

What I do know has to do with seeing the video. Why is it all over the news? I understand pictures telling stories, sometimes they tell too much of it, and make it too graphic. I'd love to hear a network flack tell me why I needed to see the video of a man dying to understand a man died.

The stills of him on the side of the track, with rescue workers trying to save him was enough to show me he wasn't going to make it. I didn't need to see an 80 mph slide into a steel post to understand it.

I hope that other views follow my lead and e-mail or otherwise contact the networks to tell them that sometimes there is such a thing as "too much information", and this was a case of it.

Labels: , , , , ,


3Comments:

Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

And the IOC blames the luger for the accident. Despicable.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Bob, this is the same media that thought it was a good thing to show a Marine's death, against the wishes of his family. I have no doubt the networks would tell me the people had a right and a need to see this tragedy. Hope you guys are well!

Vicki

6:09 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Holy Cow Vicki, you are still around! I think I may have lost your e-mail address.
YOu are right, the media wants us to think we have a "right" to see that. I have no more right to see that poor guy's demise than I do to see someone's grandmother slip away in the hospital.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home