/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Merry Christmas To All

Merry Christmas to everyone who happens to wander by my blog today and tomorrow. Even if you are a non-Christian type who doesn't celebrate Christmas, Merry Christmas. Get over it and give it some thought.

The Christian idea behind the holiday isn't only celebrating the birth of Christ. Because they believe he is the savior, it's also the season to celebrate hope. Because Christ was also known as "The Prince of Peace", it's a season to celebrate and hope for peace on earth. For 33 years Christ helped the poor and infirm, so it's a season of giving.

So, I believe, if you can't get into the whole Christ is the reason for Christmas idea, you should be able to get into the rest of the ideals of Christmas. I don't care what religion you are, or aren't, if hope, peace and charity aren't things you wish to occassionally reaffirm, I'm not sure I wish to be around you.

Without saying "Merry Christmas" we could each do something along the lines above, to promote the ideals of the season. For instance, I read of a person a week or so ago who goes out for dinner every Christmas Eve, to a less than grand restaurant, and leaves a $100 tip.

I've written of my late Grandmother before, and her Thanksgiving habits of working at the Salvation Army. At Christmas, even into her 90's, she helped bake hundreds of dozens of cookies, for jail inmates. She believed it gave hope to the guys in the county jail, and that with hope can come redemption.

If you don't think you can help make peace on earth? Try making it in your own neighborhood. Give a gift basket to that neighbor who's tree encroaches on your yard, and you argue with. Give a phone call to the person you haven't spoken to for years because of a reason you can't remember, and wish them well.

I hope I've given you some food for thought, have a Merry, and safe Christmas everyone.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

9Comments:

Blogger shoprat said...

Merry Christmas to you as well.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Deadman said...

"Get over it and give it some thought."

I have. When someone wishes me a "Merry Christmas" I don't get offended because

1. Without the yarmulke and prayer shawl they have no indicator that I am Jewish and
2. They're not exactly telling me to fuck off and die.
3. I have always said "Merry Christmas" to my Christian friends, and "Happy Holidays" to those whose faith I am not clear on.

Merry Christmas, CP, to you and yours!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

What Mark said.

Besides, I lurve the cookies!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, CP!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Merry Christmas!!

11:10 AM  
Blogger me said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Merry Christmas to each of you, enjoy the cookies, and the spirit of the seaons.

Mark, you have a good way of looking at it, especially point #2.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Deadman said...

That's nice, asacan.

Merry Christmas.

2:57 PM  
Blogger DaddysGirl said...

merry christmas daddy! You're very right in your blog. Hmm I didn't know great gramma worked at the salvation army on thanksgiving....and now grams and grumpa are continuing her tradition for the inmates.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Very nice. Merry Christmas Bob.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home