/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Scooping The NY Times

I was going to post on Harold Meyerson's Opinion piece in the Washington Post tonight, then I was going to post on partial birth abortions going to the Supreme Court, and South Dakota's new abortion ban. Then I thought, nah, everyone is doing that, so I'll do something different.
(If you want to read about Meyerson Bullwinkle has it covered)

A few days ago I posted about the New York Times article about Wal-Mart's intranet site, Lee's Garage, and the info they had gotten from a ticked off manager. Included in my post was a quote from Lee Scott, the CEO, and his response to Michael Barbaro's article.

After I posted someone from the NY Times visited my site, finding it via a Technorati search. Getting scooped on the Scott comments from a bunch of bloggers in Arkansas and Virginia couldn't be sitting well with the folks in New York (who use a New Jersey ISP). I'll assume the someone was Mr. Barbaro, as I received an e-mail from him a short time later, as did other bloggers, like Arkansas Family Coalition.

I am very intrigued by your postings about my story today in The New York Times (about Lee Scott, of Wal-Mart) and wanted to chat with you if you have a moment. Can you give me a call or give me a number where I might reach you?

Many thanks,
Michael Barbaro
The New York Times

I couldn't respond that day, which I let him know, but did e-mail and call later, and have received no response.

I'm sure that what he was looking for was the people behind the nefarious plot to spread good words about Wal-Mart. After seeing a number of blogs with similar posts, and the same H. Lee Scott quote he must have figured there is a conspiracy.

There is a conspiracy, Michael. The conspiracy is that, just like you, folks at Wal Mart use Technorati to find out who's writing about them. When they find bloggers, like myself, who post complimentary things, they occasionally tip us off on other news. Read my archives, you'll find I've been blogging about them for quite a while. This is very similar to why WalMartWatch.Com picked the NY Times and not the Washington Times to send the Lee's Garage information too.

It really shouldn't surprise savvy newspaper people that this happens. Business is a PR war most of the time. I'm sure if I start posting nice stuff about Sam Adams Cherry Wheat beer often enough I'll hear something from Boston Brewing (hopefully with a free case). The folks who do PR aren't going to chose to release stuff to those who are hostile to their client, that would be stupid.

For you, Mr. Barbaro more good stuff about Wal-Mart. They raised 25% of the total collected during the Salvation Army's "Red Kettle" campaign during the Christmas season this year, a total of over $26 million dollars. Target raised nothing, they don't allow the Salvation Army at their stores. Who gets the "social conscience points" on that one?

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

3Comments:

Blogger Dionne said...

You're getting into the big leagues now with the New York Times :-). Could be good or bad :-).

Thanks for your help with the commenter, I greatly appreciated it.

12:28 AM  
Blogger jakejacobsen said...

Gee Crazy, you mean if you keep pissin' on folk they might not like it?

Huh, I'll file that one away for future use! :)

Nice job sir

4:16 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Jake, Yup, they might get tired of it. Imagine that!

LMC- I figure it will be good. I'd prefer it if he quoted me (and put a link) in his stories, but I'll get over it :)

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home