/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Friday, May 26, 2006

Appropriate Reading

I've been sitting this morning wondering what to write about. Since I've been in Minnesota I haven't read a newpaper, or watched more than a few minutes of the (local) evening news. Because of the internet connnection, I didn't even read my online papers for a few days.

So, I get back online, go to the Washington Post, and what's the first thing I read "America, Had for Song" by Eugene Robinson. No an op-ed about the selling out of the country to the convicted Enron folks, or Dennis Hastert whining about the FBI searching congressional offices. No, Eugene wrote about American Idol, and it's weird phenomenon.

It was appropriate reading, because with all the crap going on in the world, Washington, etc, that was really the only thing I made sure I watched this week.

If you've never watched Idol, check it out next season. The early episodes are a riot, watching folks who think they can sing audition. Later, when they get down to about a dozen, you'll find yourself hooked, and rooting for someone.

Robinson points out that the show, designed to find the next Britany Spears or someone similar has failed miserably at that job. Only Kelly Clarkson is really a "Pop Idol", the name of the British show America Idol was patterned after. Instead they've gotten two R&B singers, a country girl, and now the leader of the "Soul Patrol", who has more gray hair than me.

While I was happy to see Taylor Hicks win Wednesday night, he gives hopes to us slightly paunchy gray haired men, I was rooting for Katharine McPhee, because... well she's hot.

The whole point of today's article? Lighten up folk! I've spent the better part of the last year writing on politics, religion, abortion, immigration, etc. It's been really good to ignore all that crap for the better part of a week, and just worry about what's on the tube. It felt kind of good.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

10Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Good for you! I figure that no opinion I have about politics or any "important" issue is gonna make a damn bit of difference anyway, so I might as well buy more shooze or read a romance novel.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

That's why I consider my personal blog therapy. You'll be ready for Idol soon, wontcha? What with the guitar and all?

8:07 AM  
Blogger ablur said...

I just can't sit there and watch TV anymore. The insults and attacks that come in all forms gets me up and pacing. My wife will usually encourage me to go do something else.

That's how I got here in the first place.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Corie said...

It's always good to take a breat, CP. :)

As for AI, I was all for Chris and once he was voted off I stopped watching. If I hear Taylor say "Soul Patrol" one more time, I may have to shoot my tv....grrrr!

I'm not bitter or anything, lol!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Corie said...

Sorry, meant to say break...not breat. Chalk it up to preggo brain, Ha!

2:26 PM  
Blogger Jeff H said...

OMG, the next thing we know you'll be stayin' home all week, watchin' soaps and goin' to the grocery in a bathrobe, slippers, and curlers in your hair.

3:10 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

I have never watched the show, but I do agree that you need to take a breather and do a "fun" post occasionally.

4:24 PM  
Blogger juanitagf said...

It's true. I started watching it for the jokes at the beginning who think they can sing. Then I got hooked. I love Taylor, but Kat is great, too.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I have never seen it. I read that the new "winner" got 64,000,000 votes. That is more than any president. That just shows me that the majority of the country has no faith in the government.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Tim, you are probably right.The William Jefferson fiasco shows a good reason.

JGF, the try outs to me are the best part. I probably missed half of the shows after they cut it to 12, but only 1 or 2 of the 10 where they did auditions.

Jeff, actually, I prefer to sit in boxers and a wife-beater t-shirt, swill Pabst, eat nachos and watch Springer.

Corie, I understand the annoyance at "Soul Patrol".

LP, No, I won't be ready for Idol. You see, you have to be able to sing, and I can't carry a tune in a covered basket.

Paula, switch to Grisham or James Patterson novels. Much better reading (IMHO)

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home