/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Monday, May 22, 2006

I'll Fill Up In Minnesota

So, I drove about 450 miles today, from my home to a city 100 miles west, then to the Twin Cities. Filled up with gas in Davis Junction, Illinois and paid $2.87 a gallon. Drove through most of Wisconsin, and saw the prices about the same, between $2.79 and 2.91.

Then I cross the border into Minnesota, and get off the freeway to find my hotel, and the Super America station at the corner has regular unleaded for $2.58 a gallon.... Why a 30 cent difference?

Part of it is the gas tax in the states, the other is that Minnesota doesn't allow local gas taxes or charge sales tax on gas. Both of those are done in both Wisconsin and Illinois. In fact, Illinois' state gas tax is actually lower than Minnesota's.

Wisconsin also hurts it's consumers with a law that requires a 3% wholesale and 6% retail markup on gasoline, another law Minnesota doesn't have.

So, even though I can fill my car up with a company fleet card, and not worry about the cost, I'll save them a few bucks on Friday when I get ready to head home, and fill up in Minnesota. Why pay an extra 40 cents a gallon when I don't have to?

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

9Comments:

Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Can't blame you there!

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"company fleet card" <-- sweet!

No got "company fleet card". No got Mexican workers (fired them
all three weeks ago). Paying $3.09 for a gallon of unleaded...

Man, I need to move.

7:22 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

That's the way to do it, but don't let any liberals you know discover you're doing it. Taxes are a big part of the problem, though not the entire problem.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Mark, yes the fleet card is great. For the first time in my life last week I filled up at a tollway plaza, and didn't care.

Shoprat, you are right, there are still things that need to be done to lower the national average of 2.93 a gallon.

9:06 PM  
Blogger ablur said...

Prices around me fall between $2.97 and $3.09. I almost need a loan to fill the car.
Our stupid representatives failed to open up drilling around the US. The future looks pretty dim. We know we are too dependent on foreign oil yet we don't have sense enough to drill our own.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Ablur, Every time I listen to the folks on the left tell us we need to be "energy independent" I wonder how they plan to achieve that when they stifle every plan to get closer to it.

If we had opened ANWR when it was originally proposed in 1994, it would be producing over 1,000,000 domestic barrels of oil a day right now.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

I think I paid $3.37 last week in the O.C. Eek!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Been charging my gas on "the man's" dime for over three years and am luvin' it! They can have my Corporate AMEX when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

Did ya go ta Manny's? Also, try the Oceanaire if you want to have some great seafood.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

05 25 06

Interesting discrepancy. We pay between 3.24 and 3.59 and 9/10ths per gallon right now. I guess CA prices truly are crazier than ther other places. And MY oh MY you have been busy CP. I hope all is well.

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home