/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Zarqawi Dead

In a wonderful development from Iraq overnight, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq was killed in a bombing strike by US forces.

Now, I don't think this will end the insurgency, but when you kill the leader, and whack seven of his closest aides, what it does do is put a crimp in their style. According to an al-Qaeda linked website, which has also acknowledged the death Zarqawi had already designated a successor in case of something like this.

Something interesting coming out of the story include that it seems to have been Iraqi's who fingered Zarqawi's meeting place, giving the info to Iraqi intelligence. That indicates that more Iraqi's, even in the Sunni strongholds, are willing to stand up to the insurgents.

The other good news out of Iraq is that they have finished the cabinet with the new government. A Sunni will lead the military, a Shiite the interior ministry, and a Kurd in charge of national security. Hopefully the people are getting the word the new government is serious about unity between the three major sects, as it will help with unifying the country.

(H/T to Griz at God Bless America)

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

7Comments:

Blogger shoprat said...

I feel conflicting emotions. I am glad that the monster is gone, but I am also saddened by a soul forever lost.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

SR- I know that you are a good man, and that was a beautiful sentiment.

I say "may him and his ilk burn in Hellfire forever". He was responsible for so many killings, beheadings, pain and suffering that I feel that Hell was actually made by God for people just like him.

I hope that this will mark a turning point in Iraq. At the very least, it's about time we had some good news coming out of there.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Good news indeed! Loved the "whack" verbage. Nobody says it like you Bob!

9:21 AM  
Blogger ablur said...

This has got to be the best piece of news since the capture of Saddam. I would say it is better because this guy has already jumped ahead to the penalty phase.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I can't tell you how happy I was when I saw this first thing when I turned on the tv this morning. Wahoo!!!!!!!!!

Have you heard Nick Berg's psycho dad? Even though Zarqawi beheaded his son its all Bush's fault.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Shoprat, I understand that feeling. However, I'd say that his soul was lost forever a long time ago.

Tim, I'm not sure it will be a huge turning point initially. The Defeatist end of the media is already playing Mr. Berg's thoughts as loudly as any good that might come of this.

It does show though, that the Iraqi people seem to be against the insurgency.

Ablur, 500 lbs of judge, jury and executioner :)

LMC, Yeah, I heard his Dad's statement. He doesn't like the idea of revenge.Which evidently means you let the Zarqawi's of the world do what ever they wish. With no retribution against them there will be no end to their violence.

9:54 PM  
Blogger MDConservative said...

CP: You stole the words from my mouth.

shoprat: Nice words... but might I dare challenge that there was no soul to be lost?

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home