/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Friday, June 02, 2006

Wish Me Luck

This weekend is fast approaching, and I'm getting nervous. I entered a chili cook-off to benefit the LeRoy Butler Foundation, which helps fight breast cancer.

I'm nervous because I haven't used, or even seen this recipe used for over 20 years. I modified it from one that a friend of mine used to win the Long Beach Grand Prix Chili Cook Off in 1985. I consider myself a pretty good cook, but I've never actually entered a contest, so this is also the first time for that.

The fact that the event is happening on my "home turf", the campground where our vacation trailer is, has also caused a little of my nervousness. Gotta win for the home team :)

Now I'm just hoping I don't kill anyone with the stuff. Though I've toned it down considerably from the original recipe, which called for 5 POUNDS of roasted chili peppers to be pureed and used as the base. In consideration of my wife, and the judges, I cut that down, and used a tomato base and only about 1 pound of roasted Jalepenos and New Mexico's.

You'll Need More Than 5 Alarms Chili...
(makes about 8 quarts of Chili)

1/2 lb Roasted Red Jalepenos
1/2 lb Roasted New Mexico Chili's
2 cans (4 oz) diced green chilis
2 cans (10 oz) Red Gold Diced Tomatos with Green Chilis
2 cans Bush's Medium Chili Beans
1 large white onion diced
1 cup chopped celery
4 cloves garlic, chopped medium fine.
3 lbs grilled chuck steak, cubed in 1/2 inch cubes
Ground Cumin
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper

Use your favorite BBQ rub to season steak, cook on grill to medium, cool then cube.
Roast peppers on grill until skins start to bubble. Cool, peel.
remove seeds and veins from peppers (unless you want LOTS of heat).
Put peppers, and 1 can tomatos in sauce pan, cook until peppers are very tender, then puree with stick blender or food processor.

Combine all ingredients in a large slow cooker or pot, cook on low heat until meat, celery and onions are very tender. Season to taste.

So, wish me luck with the cook off, and I'll let you know next week how I did.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

8Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck, Bro', and I think you might wanna keep a straight shot open to the outhouse.

SAB

5:21 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

good luck

5:50 PM  
Blogger ablur said...

You might need some protective gear for that recipe. That's alot of fire in a pot.
Call me a digestive wimp but I would be sick for days after eating that.

Good Luck. Hope fire is the judges winning search.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oowee! Sounds delicious, but I think we're gonna need some Pepto afterwards! Good luck! I hope you win!

Carol

6:54 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Good luck!!!!!! I had to chuckle at this line:

"Now I'm just hoping I don't kill anyone with the stuff."

Did you ever see that Seinfeld episode where Mr. Costanza (George's father) made all those people sick w/his cooking in the Korean War? Your line made me think of that episode. After you do an awesome job at your cook-off you need to watch it if you haven't seen it :-))).

8:50 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Good luck, CP!!

11:28 PM  
Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

06 03 06

Best Wishes CP. As methodical as you are, I am sure you will do well. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us. YUUUUUUUUMMMMMY!!!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Great recipe. I'd sub onions for the celery, though. Good luck. Also, try it with venison some time.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home