/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Novak Reveals What We Already Knew

So I got up right when the alarm went off this morning, refusing my normal urge to hit snooze a few times, to make sure I could read and react to the Novak column right away.

I should have hit the snooze button. I didn't really learn anything that hasn't been discussed before, but I'll still give a refresher on some of the information.

The biggest revelations out of the column would be these:

However, on Jan. 12 [2004, ed.], two days before my meeting with Fitzgerald, the special prosecutor informed Hamilton that he would be bringing to the Swidler Berlin offices only two waivers. One was by my principal source in the Valerie Wilson column, a source whose name has not yet been revealed. The other was by presidential adviser Karl Rove, whom I interpret as confirming my primary source's information. In other words, the special prosecutor knew the names of my sources.

So Fitzgerald knew who the information came from, and in all likelihood; though not confirmed by Novak; the context of Novak's conversations with the sources, at the beginning of the investigation.

In my sworn testimony, I said what I have contended in my columns and on television: Joe Wilson's wife's role in instituting her husband's mission was revealed to me in the middle of a long interview with an official who I have previously said was not a political gunslinger. After the federal investigation was announced, he told me through a third party that the disclosure was inadvertent on his part.
Wait, this means that Rove wasn't the source of the information, or that Cheney & Co. weren't instituting a "Destroy Joe Wilson" campaign, as the media and left wing pundits have breathlessly claimed for the last few years.
Following my interview with the primary source, I sought out the second administration official and the CIA spokesman for confirmation.
In fact, according to Howard Kurtz's column today, Rove's response, as the confirming source was no more than "Oh, you heard that too", or similar words, depending on Rove and Novak's recollections.

Guess that blows the whole Rovian plot idea out of the water.

I learned Valerie Plame's name from Joe Wilson's entry in Who's Who in America.

This possibility has been discussed, ad nauseum, on television and in print when the whole investigation started. Nearly all conservative commentators and bloggers (including me) posted the link to the "Who's Who" entry, or disccussed it on their shows.
I considered his wife's role in initiating Wilson's mission, later confirmed by the Senate Intelligence Committee, to be a previously undisclosed part of an important news story. I reported it on that basis.

Again, every conservative pundit out there has made this case for the last two plus years, that the story behind Novak's original column wasn't "Get Joe Wilson", but how did Joe Wilson get to Niger.

Unfortunately, in the moonbat world, anyone who challenges the credibility of anyone who challenges Bush must be a White House operative. That underlying premise seems to be the reason we spent millions on an investigation of nothing.

After reading Novak today, and some of the other info that has come out over the last 30 months, it makes me wonder if the investigation was dragged out as long as it was simply because politico's (not Crazy one's) would have been pissed if it ended quickly.

It's evident Fitzgerald knew early the context of the whole story; yet plugged along until he came up wtih some way to indict somone; possibly to avoid the political firestorm that would have erupted if he hadn't charged anyone with anything.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

2Comments:

Blogger Dionne said...

Yah, my respect level for Fitzgerald just keeps going down. Good comprehensive post on this. I hadn't gotten around to reading anything on this yet.

I just returned from a trip to your neck of the woods.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Ted, Don't worry, I feel old, too. And Crystal just reminded me, we can't pay Gary a nickel to fetch beers anymore, he'll just drink them.

As for the actual subject of the post, if what Novak says is true (no reason to doubt him), the whole Rove started angle is blown out of the water. Which means basically thre whole Special Prosecutor was a waste of my tax dollars.

I agree with LMC, I have less and less respect for Fitzgerald.

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home