/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Murtha Needs A Lawyer

I wonder if John Murtha saw this lawsuit coming? Evidently a Marine who was at Haditha in Iraq when the supposed slaughter of 24 civilians occured has decided to sue John Murtha for libel and defamation.

The suit was filed the same day the Corps came out and said the preliminary investigation shows there probably was an illegal killing of unarmed civilians, though no charges were announced.

The Marine though, uses that as part of his reasoning for filing suit, and his attorneys have asked to depose Murtha and DoD employees who he talked to. According to the suit, by going on TV and into the papers to drum the Haditha beat, Murtha basically forced the Marines into the findings of wrong doing, to prevent it from being labeled a coverup.

I think the Marine has a point, though I will say if a legitimate investigation and trial finds him guilty, I'll run the gallows. That said, his point is well taken, once the papers and news shows started talking about the alleged massacre, any finding but the one announced today would have been questioned.

Am I cynical enough to believe the military would let a bunch of Marines hang out to dry for political expediency? Yes; because I lived through Tailhook and it's aftermath and witch hunts in the Navy during the mid 90's; I have no doubt that they'll let good men go down for the sake of good press.

Now, to Murtha. I understand his dislike for the idea of such an action, but does he really think that the best way to get a fair investigation was to go all over the TV's making the accusations he did? Or was he just getting more attention for himself. I think any regular readers know my feelings on that question.

It will be interesting to see how the DC Court handles the lawsuit. My guess is they'll find a way to toss it to save the fat behind of a certain representative.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

3Comments:

Blogger Lone Pony said...

Thanks for this info. It does my heart good to find out somebody is going after Murtha. I personally think he's an idiot, or senile.

8:15 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Even if these men win their suit the PC crowd would find a way to turn it into a victory for them. The only way to really vindicate these men is to win the war.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Ascan, gotta agree with you on Murtha, to hell with him. It's too bad he sold his soul to be the party's "voice of military experience."

LP, probably a little bit of both.

Shoprat, you are right, a stable Iraq would be the best vindication.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home