/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Saturday, September 03, 2005

I'm Becoming More Cynical.....

After reading dozens of blog posts, hearing the Congresssional Black Caucus members and Al Sharpton on TV, and getting the "racism" angle on the New Orleans situation crammed down my throat I started doing some research on the New Orleans evacuation plan.

What I found actually startled me, because listening to the news the past few days we've all been led to believe that there really wasn't much of a plan to get folks out of the city, especially the poor, or elderly.

As it turns out, there was a very good plan in place, and it was not only recently revised based on Hurricane Ivan last year, but heavily advertised, with free maps and info packets being provided since early summer to residents.

Here's a link to the City Of New Orleans website with the basics of it.
http://www.cityofno.com/SystemModules/PrintPage.aspx?portal=46&tabid=4

The Red Cross paid for a million copies of a brochure outlining evacuation routes, emergency contacts, etc; for distribution in a city of 480,000. (Here's one of the brochures)

My point in all of this is that it's appearing that more and more of the victims are voluntary victims of this storm, not the target of some conspiracy to erradicate the low income inner city folks from the city.

Of course, none of that really matters, disasters make it easy to take potshots at opponents political rivals, and ignore the facts, because too many people will be to busy to look up the facts.

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home