/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Great Take on Community

It's been announced that the Million Man March will make it's return to DC. I hope that the speakers start and end the march by reading this Leonard Pitts column about 10 years after the original March.

Pitts is one of the columnists I read every chance I get, not because I always agree with him, but because he makes great points, has an open mind, and causes me to think even when I disagree

I'm sure some black leaders will take him to task for not laying all the blame at the feet of others, but his column speaks volumes of truth, for people of any race. He's got about 10 or 12 items on a list of things that can fix communities without someone else's consent, and it really doesn't matter who's community it is.

His point on education is the one, in my opinion, that needs to get beaten (figuratively) into people of the lower class, of any race, more than anything. Not just "graduate from high school" but continue with your schooling.

Our communities and schools need to do a better job of getting folks to fill out the FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Assistance. I think once a student knows he or she can go to a state or community college basically for free if they apply it would get more thinking about continuing after high school.

Both of my kids graduated high school in a less than wealthy area, but my son knew nothing about FAFSA until his younger sister started applying for colleges, at that point the colleges sent up paperwork telling us we needed to do the application. Why wasn't that something stressed at the High School, for four years?

1Comments:

Blogger jomama said...

Unfortunately, I think the "I owe it to myself" idea is gone.

Are you read for the results?

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home