/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Monday, December 12, 2005

Tookie Still Hangin' On

UPDATED @ 4 PM: New title should be "Tookie Will Be Hangin'.."
Stanley "Tookie" Williams' supporters are still holding out hope for the Governator to give him a stay of his execution, scheduled for Tuesday morning.

Tookie's response to the whole effort to get clemency granted is a little different than his supporters. During a recent interview with the AP Williams said:

"Me fearing what I'm facing, what possible good is it going to do for me? How is that going to benefit me?"
"If it's my time to be executed, what's all the ranting and raving going to do?"

He did have more to say, Newsweek has an article written by Williams this weekend.
I'm glad he's ready to die, acceptance is a good sign. I wish he'd take the last meal though, only because at this time of year traditions are important.

Last night his team of lawyers asked the Ca. Supreme Court for a stay, based on the possibility someone else committed the crime. Interesting issue, you'd think that at his original trial 24 years ago, or during one of his appeals since someone would have raised it!

Instead we get a "shocking headline" that they might have the wrong guy. As much as I normally think all courts in California are liberal goons, the Supreme Court of the state found some cajones and denied the petition.

Don't worry though, the ACLU, NAACP and others are working on (another) federal appeal to find a way to spare Tookie. I mean, you can't blame them, putting gang thug murders on death row just isn't fair now, is it.


My final thought on the subject is this. Mr. Williams, if you can find a way to raise the four folks you killed from the dead, I'll write a letter to try and help you. Until then, enjoy the nap.

UPDATES:

At about 3:00pm EST the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals refused to stay the execution. That says a lot to me, when the most liberal court in the country (possibly the free world) refuses to intervene, you don't have much of a case. However, supporters at that hour were still holding out for Arnold to save him.

4pm, the Governor refuses William's request for clemency, setting the stage for a 12:01 pacific time execution. Here is part of the Governor Schwarzenegger 's statement:

"After studying the evidence, searching the history, listening to the arguments and wrestling with the profound consequences, I could find no justification for granting clemency. The facts do not justify overturning the jury's verdict or the decisions of the courts in this case."

Full text of the denial of clemency is available here.

I'm glad to see that the courts aren't going to let him off on this, and the Governor stood up for the law, and the jury verdict. Star power shouldn't get you a lighter sentence. Bye Bye Tookie, I won't miss you.

Technorati Tags: ,,

11Comments:

Blogger Christian Prophet said...

The Holy Spirit's message on The Christian Prophet blog today says that as long as Tookie lives on earth he pays the price for his mistakes, but when no longer living on earth he is totally forgiven and free.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

If anyone deserves the DP, it's Williams. As I said previously, I'm leaning toward thinking they should do away with it altogether, but it's here now and he's the worst of the worst.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Mr. Prophet, my christianity taught me Tookie's sin was beyond forgiveness, and he will burn in hell. I like that version.

Paula- I do support the penalty, but I do see some of the arguements against it, especially in some of the cases where DNA, etc, has overturned things.

But I agree, with it on the books, this is the type of guy it was meant for. Hope he enjoys the IV.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I support the death penalty - and as long as people like Tookie are the cause celebre' of overturning it... well, we've got nothing to worry about.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Tag! You're it!

3:48 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Looks like Gov. Schwarzenegger isn't going to grant clemency either. I don't like killing people but with intentional murder, execution may be the only form of justice. I wish we never had to do it, but reality dictates that we have to.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

SR and Steven, it is a tough thing. I generally support it, but as I said above, it's gotta be a good case, with no "oopsies" in it.

Rebekah I think you have a good point on picking the wrong guy for the celebs to be trying to save. I could see them trying with a normally upstanding guy, who killed his wife's lover in a fit of rage or something. But this was THE WRONG one to get gaga over.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

"The facts do not justify overturning the jury's verdict or the decisions of the courts in this case." Very well said Governor Schwarzenegger. Steven Kelso said on his blog that justice has been served and may God have mercy on his soul. I think that sums it up well.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Well, it’s done. I do have regret. I wish O.J. Simpson had been there with him, attached intravenously.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

LP, that is pretty funny.

LMC, I don't think he's going to spend much time with God. He probably had a different destination.

6:58 AM  
Blogger DaddysGirl said...

You know, even if he didn't actually commit those four murders...yea like thats true....how many is this jerk responsible for??? Seriously he admitted to forming the Crypts...one of the MOST violent street gangs, that alone deserves his sentence....thank you!

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home