/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Monday, January 02, 2006

More Heat on the MSM

The mainstream media has found the internet to be a pain in more and more ways. This article from the Chicago Tribune goes into detail on the latest way, which I love.

While we've all heard of the bloggers who outed CBS's poor job with forged documents, this group of folks is taking things one step further. It's a story on sources for the print and other media, who are recording the interviews they give, keeping e-mail trails, and basically doing everything the reporter should. Then when the story they contributed to gets it wrong, or distorts their views, they take everything to the web to get the whole story out.

This quote from the article about sums up for me how the "real media" as they consider themselves feel about this happening:
Thomas Kunkel, a journalism dean at the University of Maryland, said reporting on reporters had created a kind of "Wild West atmosphere" in cyberspace.

With reporters conducting more interviews by e-mail, he said, "You have to start thinking a couple of moves ahead because you're leaving a paper trail. And the truth-squad mentality of some bloggers means you are apt to have your own questions thrown back at you."
Hear that folks, we have a "truth squad mentality"... Excuse me Mainstream Media, YOU should have that same mentality, if you did folks wouldn't be going to blogs to find out the "rest of the story" (thanks Paul Harvey).

As the power of the internet continues to grow, and bloggers and other outlets continue to grow, the traditional media is going to have to accept the fact that like that new fangled car in the early 20th century, this isn't going away. In the long run it will make for a better media for everyone, in the short, there will be some pain from those who are used to being the sole abitors of opinion.
Check out MacMind and his incredible write up on journalism and the NY Times NSA leaks.
Technorati Tags: , ,

9Comments:

Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Truth?
Nooooooooooooooo!

Heh.
Bloggers rule!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

It's great because there are people out here blogging like you CP and telling it like it is. CP, ever think of doing this for a living? You're really very good. You're factual yet you can be funny. blah...blah...interesting...(more really great compliments)...smart...blah...blah...blah :-)

10:00 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

That's too hilarious! Heaven forbid the truth ever gets in the way of some peeps' agendas.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

CUG - Was that a quote from the NY Times editorial board meeting?

Steven, CSPAN is one of those things I love to watch, just for that reason.

LP - No, I haven't thought of doing this for a job, it would take all the fun out of it if the deadlines were something other than self imposed. But thanks for the compliments.

Paula, that was almost exactly what I thought when I read the article in the Tribune yesterday. It sounded like a bunch of whining from reports about being held to a standard by the facts.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

When I was in school, we were told to write "objectively" to place the facts with backround info to round it out.

Now, it seems the Objectivity is the background and the "facts" are as they personally interpret them which they then put in the forefront. Butt-backwards.
Things sure have changed since I was in school.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Peakah said...

Oh how elites hate having their facade exposed...

...I however routinely expose my facade... I am soooooooo not elite!

Darn!

(I agree with Lone Pony!)

10:09 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Peakah Anytime I expose anything, I get told I'm not elite :) Doesn't happen as much anymore with the restraining order and all.

Michele, objectivity hasn't become background as much as afterthought.

With facts, I showed a month or so ago on the abortion issue that I can make factual statements, that totally oppose everything you've heard about the topic. On that case you are right on, by using selected facts they push their agenda.

Peakah and Pony, if you folks can find me someone to pay $45,000/yr to sit home in Zion, and blog, making occasional trips to various locations, I can start in 2 to 3 weeks.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I think those in the print press live in an alternate reality. Reading Time is like reading Pravda or something...

4:13 PM  
Blogger Peakah said...

$45,000 a year would barely feed my perpetually hungry kids! More power to ya!

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home