/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Five Packs of Smokes

I just went to the store and bought five packs of cigarettes, a loaf of bread, some candles, a new book and a few other necessities (case of beer, toilet paper). I started a new batch of cold brew coffee, and made sure I have 3 or 4 cans of soup in the house.

What would require such an eclectic mix of things? Simply, they are predicting 10-15 inches of snow by tomorrow night when this storm system finishes moving through. I've experienced the 3 day shutdowns caused by 3 inches of snow here in Northern Virginia, so I'm treating this coming storm as the apocolypse. My guess is nothing will function here for days.

Were I in Chicago, I wouldn't be worried about it. I'd gas up the snow blower, make sure I had plenty of salt for the sidewalk, and watch a movie. Here, it's a catastrophe of biblical proportion. I may not be able to get anywhere until Monday or Tuesday, so I've got the necessities.

When it's over I may walk down to the freeway overpass and laugh at the morons trying to drive, or giggle about the snow plows that are stuck in the snow. One thing I won't do is get on the roads in a car, I know what I'm doing in this type of weather, but most of the folks in this area don't. And I'm not going to be used for target practice while they attempt to learn.

Technorati Tags: , ,

9Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

LOL...sounds like southern Calis trying to drive in the rain.

What, no frosting? I would die.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I kind of like not being able to go anywhere when it snows.

I just wanted to tell you what an AWESOME JOB you did defending Lone Pony's Islam post to Mr. Afeef. Like I've said before, I'm coming to get you when I need help rebutting a liberal.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

No Paula, no frosting, though I thought about baking a bunch of cakes, etc. Then I tried putting on my skinny jeans and realized it was a bad idea :)

LMC. I don't mind it, for a day, but around here schools will be closed most of the week if we get half of what they are expecting. It gets old quick.

Thanks on the other subject.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Try living in AL during a bad snowstorm! We had one in 1993 and it shut down everything. I live on a county road, and we didn't get out for 6 days! We had 18 inches of snow at my back door. I was home alone (husband had been transferred to Nashville, and I came home for the weekend - knowing I shouldn't), and I was only out of power 22 hrs, thank the Lord! But, I had a kerosene heater to help me there and a battery operated radio to keep me company.

Now, we have gas logs to keep us warm in such a case - and they are not on natural gas! And, we always make sure we have food in the house. Although they said we might have snow this weekend, I haven't seen 'a flake' yet. :)

1:56 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Barbara, I've stocked up on the important stuff, have a gas stove, so if the power goes out I can still keep warm.

If all else fails, I have a gold card, i'll find a hotel with lights and heat :)

4:26 PM  
Blogger David M said...

Its already begun brother! LOL I love this area of the country.

5:45 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

When I was in college, in mid-Michigan in circa-1980, there was a student from southern California who used to mock us "midwestern wimps" because we were not tanned with buffed beach bodies. He found out what a real wimp was when he experienced his first blizzard and we had to go outside in it. (It was him).

8:34 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

David, you'd think someone dropped a nuke as empty as the streets are around here.

Shoprat, when I was going to school at Great Lakes in 1987 I was lucky to be the senior guy. I got to pick the snow shoveling details.

Since I know how SSN's work in relation to what state you are from a lot of folks from "nonsnow states" got experience with shovels.

I didn't ever pick the guy from Buffalo, NY. I figured he'd shoveled enough for all of us in his life.

9:20 PM  
Blogger ablur said...

After being raised in Cleveland and Denver, I find myself living in the Northwest. Here they shut down everything if someone spots a snow flake. Neither Portland or Seattle has the means for dealing with snow. When it happens it is a vacation day. A few flakes hit the ground and people put chains on. People are parked all over the roads. Driving home is like slalom racing.
I moved here because I hate snow. I shoveled more then enough for a lifetime. Usually snow doesn't last here for more then a day. I can live with that.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home