/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Screw Oil!

I read a column last week in one of my daily reads about the fact that the left and right need to come together on an energy policy. The right needs to realize that some environmental regulation is needed, the left that some more domestic exploration for oil is needed until we wean ourselves of it.

Then, as I was replying to Mark's post at Knockin' On The Golden Door today it hit me, the new rioting should be the perfect thing to pull the two sides together on this issue.

If the display we've seen over the last few days caused by a few cartoons isn't enough to make the west as a whole, and the US specifically realize it's time to get off the teet of the great mideast oil cow nothing will.

The folks in corporate America (GM, Ford, Chysler) need to realize that higher fuel economy standards won't kill them. More hybrids from them would also be nice as a short term helper. The folks on the political right need to realize that agreeing to a few envirnomental concerns won't kill them either, increasing spending on alternatives and incentives for them aren't going to kill them.

The left needs to shut up about oil exploration here. While the idea of oil free is nice, it's not happening tomorrow, no matter how much cash we toss at the problem. Nuclear power, shale oil, clean coal and some natural gas pipelines are also going to be required. (We might even have to cut down some trees to put the stuff in).

The thing is, once we get ourselves so we are using more alternative sources of fuel, and less mid-east oil, the quicker that we can start ignoring the middle east. When I say ignoring, I mean making Dafur look like a huge world effort, making Rwanda look like a success type of ignoring the middle east.

The goat roping sand crabs can go home, be ignored, and worship whoever the hell they want, and no one outside their area will give a camels tail about them. If they want to live under religious law, giving no one any rights unless some towel headed Iman say's its okay, fine, we'll let them.

The folks who are burning buildings and rioting in Europe can go back to the desert home of their ancestors. They can build sand castles, and none of us will have to care, because the only thing they have to offer the world, oil, won't be needed.

Just a thought.

Technorati tags: ,

9Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Excellent! Can I nominate you for Secretary of State!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Good Evening Bob. Just read your newest blog post. I have to say that it makes way to much sence for any politician to accept. What it needs is to be so comlicated that no one can understand it, then it might have a chance with them.
Might I suggest that when Maddie runs for President you be her running mate and VP. :-)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

What's with you folks trying to get me into office? Lone Pony wants me to run for Prez. (don't tell Maddigans). I like being a monday morning quarterback, it's so much easier.

Besides, I have to be careful opening closets, skeltons have a tendancy of falling out of them.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Goat roping sand crabs? Fantastic! Great rant CP, and as usual, full of common sense.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I read an article earlier tonight that was about Denmark and Norway feeling they are very close to developing an alternative fuel source.

I just scanned through the article and can't remember the details and I'm too lazy to look it up again right now.

I don't have that technical kind of mind to retain that kind of information - much to scientific for me!

But from my limited knowledge about it - it looked like their scientists are pretty optimistic about it.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Uber said...

I'm with you!

There's actually an organized effort of some on the right pushing for some sane environmental regulation. I ran across their website a good while back but I'm lame and can't remember exactly who they are.

And skeletons schkmeletons...the trick is to throw the closet door open with glee as an example of someone learning from life.

So that's that, CP for prez! ;)

10:16 AM  
Blogger Jeff H said...

"The right needs to realize that some environmental regulation is needed."

True, but the left needs to realize we already have far too much of it, and it's costing us untold billions.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

LP - Glad you enjoyed that line :)

Ascan - I'll front you 10 bucks to get started, that's about all I can afford right now. I agree bio fuels need to be part of the solution. However, the price has to come down.

Beth, if you can find a reference, I'd love to check it out. I know there are lots of alternatives being looked into all over the place.

Steven, While I agree the market will work out some problems, it doesn't do much to work out kooks like the guy in Iran and Hugo Chavez. Finding quicker ways to not depend on them would be nice.

Uber-If I run you'd have to be my personal manager. I'm sure that you could convince all the news channels to give me lots of time.

Jeff, I agree, that's why I mentioned trees might have to come down :) The fear based restrictions we have on drilling on our own continent are a prime example.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Toni, you are right on ethanol's production "cost" in energy. The other thing, the subsidies, have become a big political topic in Wisconsin also. Seems some folks would like to see the state go to a 15% mandate on ethanol, and mandate most of it come from the state. And of course the tax payers would foot part of the bill to get the plants in the state.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home