/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Foodgasms

I blog about a lot of stuff, and I thought I’d use the above title to get you to read this one, it’s about food. Women have been known to have "shoegasms" when they walk by Macy's. I have "foodgasms" when a great recipe finds me, or when I get a chance for an old time favorite.

In an e-mail I got the other day a friend commented on the oddity of a guy cooking. When I was growing up Mom made sure all 4 of us boys knew how to be at least functional in the kitchen. I’m glad she did, cooking has become a very enjoyable way to blow some steam, and I’d hate living on frozen dinners and carry out.

I spent a good part of this weekend cooking, since when it looks like this outside I don’t go out around here. (I posted about that yesterday). It was “comfort food” cooking, because I wasn’t in the mood to be cooped up after a long week, but didn’t have a choice.

There are certain foods we all consider “comfort foods”, ice cream and chocolate come to mind when you aren’t having a good day. Beer is comfort food for some when they want to forget a bad day.

For me the one thing I crave when I’ve had a rough week, or get snowed in, is Mom’s pork chops and gravy. I’ve loved them forever, or at least as long as I can remember her making them. In fact I was given a choice of ANYTHING for dinner the night before I left for the Navy. I asked for the chops.

These aren’t exactly quick to make, but they are worth the wait. I’ll admit the smell was killing me about 4:30 yesterday afternoon, and I still had about 30 minutes to go.

Mom’s “Family Favorite” Pork Chops
(Serves 4 normal people, or 2 in my family)

4 pork chops, medium thickness.
1 can Chicken Rice Soup, 1 can water
4 tablespoons yellow mustard
½ cup flour
Salt, pepper to taste.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat

Dust the chops with flour, and then spread each side with mustard, and then flour again and hit with the salt and pepper.

Brown the chops just until a crust forms, then remove from the pan

Use the soup and water to deglaze the pan, getting all the brown goodies off the bottom.

Put the chops back in the pan with the soup, cover, and reduce heat to low.
Simmer for 1-2 hours, depending on how thick the chops are.

Stir occasionally and make sure the chops aren’t sticking to the bottom of the pan.

When done the chops should be just ready to come off the bone, and won’t need a knife to cut them. The soup will have become very nice gravy that works great on mashed potatoes. (They must be real spuds, instant potatoes don’t do it justice).

Now, if you like a little more pizzazz, you can use Dijon mustard instead of yellow. On days I want a little more spice I use 1 part Dijon and 1 part Chinese mustard (the hot stuff).

I've also substituted white wine and chicken stock for the water, and both work great.

If you don’t eat pork, then you can also use boneless chicken breasts for this recipe, they’ll work almost as well.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

9Comments:

Blogger shoprat said...

My mother had the same philosophy except she also thought every go should know how to sew as well.

8:12 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Need to learn to read what I write.

"every GUY should know"

8:12 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Sounds great Bob! Your wife is a lucky woman.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

EIMC- Try these, unless you forget to cover them they never come out dry.

Shoprat- I can do buttons and minor repairs, but usually end up with enough blood from my finger tips to ruin whatever I was trying to fix.

LP- I certainly hope she shares that sentiment.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Oh, and one more thing, "better than sex"...???...Let's not get crazy here!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Uber said...

Yum, schweet. Thanks for the recipe. ;)

1:33 PM  
Blogger Jeff H said...

OK, I understand using catchy words in post titles to get attention--I do it myself all the time.

But knowing that you experience "foodgasms" does not make me want to eat anything you've prepared.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

LP- that was to get me some technorati hits.

Uber, enjoy.

Jeff- Don't worry it doesnt' happen during the cooking process. Just don't sit directly across the table from me while eating.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Jeff H said...

Eeewwwwwwwww....

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home