/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Next Time

I was going to leave this story alone, since just on the Washington Post's coverage, 105 bloggers are talking about it.

However, I can never help being a smart ass over serious issues, or being one over issues that really aren't serious.

What am I talking about? The video of the President being warned of Hurricane Katrina being serious.

If you follow the link on "the video" above it's about 15 minutes of coverage of the briefings.

What I came out of after listening and watching wasn't Mike Brown talking horses, but talking horse sense. He was showing concern about the possibility of a "disaster within a disaster" at the Superdome before the storm hit, was Ray Nagins or Kathleen Blanco showing that same concern? He was also concerned they hadn't designated other shelter areas in the city, why not Mayor?

The video doesn't show, as much of the media has been reporting, Max Mayfield talking about the levee's breeching. In fact the word was never used, at least not in the cuts that the Washington Post has up. What he talked about was the levees being topped, which a completely different subject, water going over, not through, levees.

I came away after 15 minutes impressed with FEMA and the National Guard (who has a short spot in here) knowing what they wanted, where they wanted it, and what they wanted to do. I also came away thinking they weren't very impressed with either Mississippi or Louisiana being ready for this based on the shelter talk, and evacuation issues that were brought up.

So, with hurricane season not too far away, I have a suggestion for the President. Since the press, and certain elected officials, would like to lay the blame for all bad things related to Katrina on your step, be better prepared. This year, issue executive orders placing possibly affected counties, parishes, and states under Federal control. Total federal control over money, transportation, evacuations, etc. Don't let the states do anything.

If the states have an issue with it, show them the way they treated the feds after Katrina, and tell them to f*ck off. They think it's your responsibility, make it yours, and let them kiss your ass.

What do you folks think?

Technorati Tags: ,

For the flip side, Eugene Robinson's Column blames everyone but the folks who didn't evactuate, and Lousiana's authorities for the disaster.

5Comments:

Blogger Bos'un said...

Bob, Thanks for weighing in on this item. I was going to myself, but, would like to repost your blog on my sites on blogger and MSN.

Have a great blogging day.

R/ Bos'un

9:56 PM  
Blogger Patriotic Sgt said...

My feelings exactly. I was waiting to post on it till later after I watched the whole video, but it would have been pretty close to what you have stated, so I'll hold off on this one. But I couldn't have said it better. However, this isn't new like they are trying to make it out to be. They had this information last year after the storm and now they are just trying to pile-on with everything else going on.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Bos'un said...

Old Sgt,

Crazy did a great job as usual. Reading his blogs are like Cliff Notes, you (and I) get caught up on reality as soon as we step into one of Crazy's rants. Bob you did a great job, as usual. Thanks for sharing your ideas and the truth of the matter.

I posted your blog on my blogger blog and also my blog on MSN ( http://spaces.msn.com/members/gdavis8901/ ). I do not get back there as much as I used to and wanted to get any readers and visitors attention.

R/

Bos'un

10:17 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Well said!
I don't think the federal response was perfect, but also, when the hurricane came in here, we were NOT turning on the TV to see what Michael Brown was going to do. I didn't even know who he was! I think the most blame rests on the local and state officials - they are just nincompoops.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Now that the media has had a few days of Bush beating on this, they squeaked out the story of Blanco saying the levees seemed to be okay after the storm.

Glad everyone got a kick out of this. I know it won't happen, but it sure would be nice.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home