/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

State of the Union

I wasn't horribly impressed with either the Presidents address, or Tim Kaine's follow up for the Democrats. These have become so scripted, with just enough "strategic leaks" that it's pretty hard to be surprised or impressed anymore, unless someone trips over Ted Kennedy trying to find a seat.

While I think the President did a decent job of reminding us why his terrorist surveillence program is important, and that Socical Security's problems won't go away if we stick our heads in the sand, he didn't lay out anything brilliant last night.

I think he probably should have spent more time drumming on the idea of "mandatory" spending in Congress. He reminded us it's getting out of control, but we don't hear that message loud enough or often enough.

Of course, the State of the Union isn't supposed to be a political speech, the intent of it from the beginning was that the head of state told the congress (and now the people) where they feel we are headed, and have been in the last year.

Kaine's speech wasn't a "rebuttal" to the actual address as it was a 15 minute run down of the Democratic Party talking points from the last year. You could have picked anyone from the Party to read it, and they probably could have found someone who would have stumbled less on his or her words.

Kaine was picked because he won a governors race in a "Red State", but they conveniently forget that the guy before him was a Democrat, too.

His main them, working together, has a nice ring to it. And I suppose if you only get your news from CNN you'd believe that over the last five years it's been the Democrats who've been reasonable in DC.

If you need some more reading on the topic here's a few newpapers who have editorials on it.

Washington Post here and here. OOPS these were written as artcles, but they are more editorial in nature.

NY Times , Chcago Tribune

8Comments:

Blogger Lone Pony said...

I was glad to hear President Bush push solar and nuclear power. I was also pleased that he put so much emphasis on education especially in the area of math and science. Also, the importance on nanotechnology and supercomputing. I felt kindof...proud. I also loved the look on Hillary Clinton's face when he defended his wiretapping. She was all soured up.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Don't you mean IF TED KENNEDY trips over someone else? (LOL) stumbling drunk..knowing he had plenty drinks yesterday and/or bp pills.

Myself I always enjoy the speeches by the President during the week when he is ON FIRE most!! But I did enjoy listening to him last night. Wishing though, that with the millions watching he would have been tougher and geared up more. Overall though he made many great points.

As far as the rebuttal, I disagree I think they used a different strategy with someone coming across with faith beliefs and hoping that it would reflect on the Dems as if they are believers. However your analysis does make sense too.

As I posted on Rebecca's, as I watched the camera pan to Hillary I could have sworn I saw her rolling her eyes but it could have been me rolling them at her. (LOL)

10:20 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Suzie, you were right about Hillary, her facial expressions were very uncalled for. Whether it was her rolling her eyes or whatever, she made herself look like crap.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

It is a good thing you have ANON turned off...AOL NEWS linked me on the post I have you link to about CRAZY CINDY. Have you noticed a traffic increase on your stats?

1:13 PM  
Blogger Christopher Lee said...

I loved that the Democrats couldn't even wait until the speech was over before issuing their "I expected more" statements.

1:45 PM  
Blogger PlaidBaron said...

I personaly liked the State of the Union Adress though the one thing I wished he had talked more about was the issue on illegal imigrants. Other than that I think he made some good solid points.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Yep - Hillary made herself look really arrogant.

The speech wasn't dazzling, but as far as GWB's speeches go, it was pretty darn good. Of course, the Democrat's response was the typical spin.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Suzie, I did get about 10 hits from you because of that. With haloscan comments if they have half a brain they can enter anonymous comments. Just that most folks who want to enter them don't have half a brain :)

By the looks of everyone elses comments maybe I was being too cynical listening last night.

Lone Pony, I wish he'd have mentioned that the folks on Ted Kennedy's island keep killing a wind farm for the area. Evidently they'd like green power, if they don't have to see it.

Suzie & Stacy, she was rolling her eyes, it was the first thing one of the guys at work mentioned about the speech.

Chris, From my understanding Harry Reid was complaining about it before the speech even happened. Amazing!

Plaidbaron, thanks for stopping by, and I do hope you continue to visit.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home