/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Be a Parent For God Sake!

Okay, I've had it now. I was just watching the news and saw that Viacom and Kellogg's are being sued because kids are getting fat from watching TV and eating Sponge Bob cereal that is advertised on Nickelodeon.

I'm not sticking up for Sponge Bob because of his name, in fact I'm not real crazy about him. I'm sticking up for him because it's the right thing to do.

The Washington Post has a piece up on this in one of their blogs, "The Checkout" (this one still allows comments), naming the groups who are filing the suit, Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood and The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) who have previously brought us tobacco lawsuits, want junk food ads of Nickelodeon.

Here's my thought, become a parent, and tell your kids "NO" once in a while, they won't die from it. Yes, kids see ads, and yes, kids bug parents to buy them the stuff they see in the ads. That doesn't mean the parents have to buy it. There are links on here to both of my kids blogs, go leave a comment and ask them how well a screaming hissy fit worked in a store to get what they wanted.

That being said ....

I'm sure the lawyers at CSPI are just doing this "for the children" but the fact is, it's none of their friggin' business how I raise my kids, or what I feed them. I'm sure they'd love to force us all to eat tofu burgers and sprouts three meals a day with Soy Milk and purified water to wash it down. But I prefer a big fat ribeye, a baked potato (loaded with sour cream, real butter, and salt!) and maybe some Hagen Daaz for desert.

If they want to force me (or someone else) to raise our kids a certain way, then I suggest they also send me a check for tuition for the kids, and by the way, my daughter really needs a decent car, I'm sure they'd scoff at the rattling death trap that she is driving.

What ever judge gets this case needs to dismiss it. And with some luck, he or she will laugh, and make fun of the lawyers when they do.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

14Comments:

Blogger DaddysGirl said...

Hey yea I do need a car, and we need my tuition paid....i like your theory...and yea it NEVER worked to have a screaming hissy fit. Why can't people just be parents for gods sake?

3:25 PM  
Blogger rev. billy bob gisher ©2008 said...

amen. and those parents that complain about what is on tv...turn it off, who is in control of your house?

6:31 PM  
Blogger Uber said...

I've always taken the "If you act like that the answer is automatically NO!" even if I want to buy it for you, and parents do the buying. This lawsuit is so silly.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Uber, As you can see from Daddy's Girl, that wasn't an option for my kids either. In fact one day while witnessing a fit like that she said "you'd kill me, wouldn't you?"

Yankee, you can eat the fritters, as long as no one advertised them and you give the kids Tofu. Glad you like the menu.

Rev... You know the kids are in charge, we can't tell them no, it might hurt their self esteem. I remember something else hurting when I was a kid and said no, and it had nothing to do with esteem.

Steven, we are supposed to set boundries for them? Oh yeah, you are over 30, you remember those days.

DG, Did you die from not getting everything every other kid screamed for?

10:53 PM  
Blogger DaddysGirl said...

NO i didn't. In fact i think i turned out pretty damn good. One of my regular readers thinks so too. He said congratulations to you. And that he'd campaign for me if i ever ran for public office. Lol, yea my kids are so not gettin away with this type of crap!!!!

11:13 PM  
Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

AMEN...Brother!! I have been a single Mom for over 20 years and YES you say NO!! (smiling) Mine learned that early on! We eat healthy but also other things too..not so good. I agree if they are going to mess with parent's business they OUGHT to have to pay as you stated. Good Rant....(smiling)

11:31 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

My Dad used to tell me, "harden your heart" and do what's best for the kid.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting how you and I end up posting about the same topics simultaneously. Great minds think alike, I suppose!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Robo- That is kind of funny, especially when you check your site meter and see I've been negligent in visiting :)

LP - That can be tough at times, but I think if folks start young, and explain WHY they arne't getting everything they see on TV they are okay with it.

Suzie - Mine didn't (Don't) always eat the healthiest, but at the same time, it's not like the only thing they've ever eaten is junk food.

EIMC- I'm not a sponge Bob fan, though my Mother in law keeps buying me Sponge Bob stuff for Xmas (guess she finds it funny). Just because I don't like him doesn't mean I'm going to sue over his cereal either.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Steve, congrats on seeming older than you are (if that's a compliment:)

Parenting is a lost skill. I thank Dr. Spock for that (not Mr. Spock)

11:36 AM  
Blogger juanitagf said...

I heard NO a lot and I survived to adulthood! And Mr. Spock would say no, even though Dr. Spock didn't!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Frivolous lawsuit # 5 million or so. This is getting ridiculous. Very, very well said.

What I let my kids watch and eat is my business and yes I can say no and don't need help from anyone else. Seems like common sense to me.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

jgf, Mr.Spock would have told most parents their behavior is "illogical".

LMC, you're mixing common sense and lawyers in the same conversation. Didn't your english teachers warn you about that :)

4:14 PM  
Blogger Webmiztris said...

wait, are you suggesting to just simply NOT give in to whatever kids want? oh yeah! that is an option! ;)

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home