/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Friday, January 20, 2006

Coppin' A Plea

Four of the five defendants in the Milwaukee tire slashing case I wrote about a few days ago have suddenly decided to cop plea deals for misdemeanor offenses. The four include the son of Milwaukee Congresswoman Gwen Moore (D), and former Acting Mayor Marvin Pratt.

The fifth defendant is waiting for the jury on his felony charge.
I'm not crazy about the plea deals, according to the stories out there right now the jury was having problems after only 6 hours of deliberations, in a seven day trial. That isn't a very long time to deliberate. During my one stint on a jury the trial was 3 days long, and it took us about 10 hours that to reach a verdict, and there were points when we though we were deadlocked. I think the prosecutor got cold feet and thought he might lose, and bailed out.
I'm surprised the four who took pleas did, unless there was something else going on to make them think the jury might come back guilty, even after they indicated problems.
Update: The fifth defendant was acquitted by the jury.


3Comments:

Blogger shoprat said...

The jury impasse was probably partisan gridlock

"They can't be guilty! They're Democrats!"

5:20 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Number 5 was acquitted, which I find amusing.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Thanks for the Follow-up on this!! Nothing I have watched or read has reported on it. Hummm, glad some at least got plea deals instead of walking away acquitted.

I like what Shoprat said...(smiling)

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home