/b

Twitter Updates

What People Say:
"I never thought I'd read the phrase Crazy Politico's Rantings in the NYT. I'll bet they never thought they'd print anything like that phrase either." TLB

Blogroll Me!

My Blog Rolls

American Flag Bloggers

American Flags

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Will They Throw Oreo's?

If you remember a few months back, I had a lot of stuff on here about the berating by Democrats of Michael Steele, the Republican Lt. Governor of Maryland for not being "black enough".

I'm wondering how Pennsylvania Democrats are going to react to this news. One of Pittsburgh's all time football heroes, Lynn Swann, is looking into running for governor, as a Republican. I wonder what the reaction of the average Joe will be if folks start throwing Oreo's at Lynn, or attacking him for not being "black".

I don't know enough about him or his politics to know if I'd support him, but I will be interested in seeing how he's treated if he gets into the race. His big hurdle right now is the state GOP endorsement in February. My guess is just on name recognition he'll get that.

Technorati Tags: and Pennsylvania, Football

5Comments:

Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Woo-hoo!
Go Lynn!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

It does set up an interesting race if he were to make it through the primaries.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

01 05 06

Thx for this interesting tidbit CP. It seems as though more high profile Blacks are going Republican and or Libertarian/Republican. Maybe a sports star will bring another perspective to the haters of the GOP who are Black. There are a couple of types of Black Republicans that I have come across:
1.Those who are so disgusted with the Demoncats they chose "the lesser of two evils."
2.Those who had a religious experience and are more fundamentalist and pro Americana.
3.Those who have money and need to protect their investment via the conservative fiscal policies of the GOP (ostensibly).
4.Military families.
5.Those who are free thinkers who adequately researched both parties and made their decisions with logic.
As you can see, there is a lot of diversity among this group. The fundamentalists tend to be part of the GOP due to the pro life views and moral positions. Hey I am rambling. I just wanted to share my views about this because I feel rather strongly that one should never place all their eggs in one basket. And as a Black person, it is VERRRRRRRRRRY difficult to even assert you are conservative (most of the time) without being called an Uncle Tom or something. I am not part of the GOP, but certainly have more libertarian economics views and can identify with this voting block in many ways. I highlighted Cobb on my blog a few days back. He falls into the last category of Black GOPERs. GREAT POST!

4:32 AM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I tell ya if we could find a bunch more guys like JC Watts I'd be in heaven. I don't know about Swann yet either but it sounds good so far.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

LMC, I always liked Watts, and think he left office too early.

Mahndisa- I'd have a lot more respect for liberal blacks who deride conservative ones if they did it on issues, not just "being black enough".

I also like Cobb because he has an open mind, and isn't afraid to express his opinion.

If folks want to make Uncle Tom references, they really should look closely at the Democratic Party. The leadership is as Ivy League white as the GOP, but has the task masters telling the black folk to stay with them. Wasn't that what Uncle Tom did?

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home