I know this subject is getting old to folks, but something I saw on the Chicago news really ticked me off the other night.
The press has been widely reporting
the that the US has been watching, in it's domestic survellience program, Muslim groups a little closer than some other groups. While I was home with the family, I was watching the news, and a local (Chicago) Islamic leader was on complaining about the fact that the "war on terror" is in many ways becoming a war on Islam.
Well, EXCUUUUUUSSSSE MEEEEE!, in the words of
Steve Martin from years gone by, but what does he expect. Off the top of my head I could think of 21 reasons for that. 19 hijackers, Bin Laden and Zarqawi.
But, it doesn't take much looking to find more reasons. Just look here.
There is a "Toll of Terrorism" website, with a chronology of terrorist attacks against the US. I've highlighted the one's that were confirmed, or suspected of being conducted by muslim extremists.September 11, 2001
- Terrorists hijack four U.S. commercial airliners taking off from various locations in the United States in a coordinated suicide attack. In separate attacks, two of the airliners crash into the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York City, NY which catch fire and eventually collapse. A third airliner crashes into the Pentagon in Washington, DC, causing extensive damage. The fourth airliner, also believed to be heading towards Washington, DC, crashes outside Shanksville, PA, killing all 45 people on board. Casualty estimates from New York put the possible death toll close to 3,000, while 189 people have been lost at the Pentagon crash site.October 12, 2000
- A terrorist bomb damages the destroyer USS Cole in the port of Aden, Yemen, killing 17 sailors and injuring 39.August 7, 1998
- Terrorist bombs destroy the U.S. embassies in Nairobi, Kenya and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. In Nairobi, 12 Americans are among the 212 killed, and over 5,000 are wounded, including 6 Americans. In Dar es Salaam, one U.S. citizen is wounded among the 11 killed and 72 injured.June 21, 1998
- Rocket-propelled grenades explode near the U.S. embassy in Beirut.
July 27, 1996 - A pipe bomb explodes during the Olympic games in Atlanta, killing one person and wounding 111.June 25, 1996
- A bomb aboard a fuel truck explodes outside a U.S. Air Force installation in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. The bomb killed 19 U.S. military personnel in the Khobar Towers housing facility, and wounded 515, including 240 Americans.November 13, 1995
- A car bomb in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia kills 7 people, 5 of them American military and civilian advisers for National Guard training. The "Tigers of the Gulf," "Islamist Movement for Change," and "Fighting Advocates of God" claim responsibility.
April 19, 1995 - A car bomb destroys the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, killing 168 people and wounding over 600.February. 1993
- A bomb in a van explodes in the underground parking garage in New York's World Trade Center, killing 6 people and wounding 1,042.December 21, 1988
- A bomb destroys Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland. All 259 people aboard the Boeing 747 are killed including 189 Americans, as are 11 people on the ground.
April 1986 - An explosion damages a TWA flight as it prepares to land in Athens, Greece. Four people are killed when they are sucked out of the aircraft.April 1986
- A bomb destroys a West Berlin disco frequented by U.S. servicemen, killing one American and one German woman and wounding 150, including 44 Americans.December 1985
- Simultaneous suicide attacks are carried out against U.S. and Israeli check-in desks at Rome and Vienna international airports. The two attacks killed 20 people, including 4 terrorists.
November 1985 - Hijackers aboard an Egyptair flight kill one American. Egyptian commandos later storm the aircraft on the isle of Malta, and 60 people are killed.October 1985
- Palestinian terrorists hijack the cruise liner Achille Lauro (in response to the Israeli attack on PLO headquarters in Tunisia). Leon Klinghoffer, an elderly, wheelchair-bound American, is killed and thrown overboard.August 1985
- A car bomb at a U.S. military base in Frankfurt, Germany kills 2 and injures 20. A U.S. soldier murdered for his identity papers is found a day after the explosion.June 1985
- A TWA airliner is hijacked over the Mediterranean, the start of a two-week hostage ordeal. The last 39 passengers are eventually released in Damascus after being held in various locations in Beirut.
June 1985 - In San Salvador, El Salvador, 13 people are killed in a machine gun attack at an outdoor café, including 4 U.S. Marines and 2 American businessmen.April 1985
- A bomb explodes in a restaurant near a U.S. air base in Madrid, Spain, killing 18, all Spaniards, and wounding 82, including 15 Americans.
November 1984 - A bomb attack on the U.S. embassy in Bogota, Colombia kills a passer-by. The attack was preceded by death threats against U.S. officials by drug traffickers.October 1983
- A suicide car bomb attack against the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut kills 241 servicemen. A simultaneous attack on a French base kills 58 paratroopers.April 1983
- A suicide car bombing against the U.S. embassy in Beirut kills 63, including 17 Americans.
So, by looking at the list, we see that 75% of the terrorist attacks targeting American's in the last 22 years were carried out by muslim extremists. So when the Iman is next on TV, I'd like the talking heads to ask him, "Should we be targeting protestants, who aren't carrying out these attacks?"Politechnical
has some info on exactly what the NSA has been gathering, and what it's been used for. Interesting stuff....David Ignatius
at the Wasthington Post has a good editorial on this also.
technorati tags: islam
, terrorism muslim
Read The Full Post!